1.9TD timing belt at 120k, new tensioner as well?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Crossman

1.9TD timing belt at 120k, new tensioner as well?

Post by Crossman »

Hi,
I've probably got this completely wrong but just to be on the safe side...
The ZX has now just wandered past 120k with little problems and time for a new timing belt (and alternater belt as it looks a bit crusty) and heard something in the grapevine about the tensioner, I know other cars suffer badly if the tensioner does'nt get changed as the millage rockets up (I think the Vauxhall 2.0 16v ecotec had a bad name for it) so wonder if it's worth having it done with the timing belt (no bottle for doing the timing belt as you only get one chance at getting it right).
Incase you need to know it's a ZX Volcane TD '95 3dr with the Bosch pump, Garrett Turbo, no emissions stuff, runs sweet as a nut and would'nt mind keeping it that way [:D]
Thanks Again,
Crossman.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes - best to do tensioner and waterpump which is also driven off the belt.
There is a school of thought that suggests they are done every time the belt is changed.
Jeremy
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I have been told that regular failures occur at the 170,000 mile mark. The bearing self destructs and with it the engine. Jonahs such as myself also recommend doing the idler roller as well for the same reason. It is said that when water pumps wear out, the belt walks off its sprocket but I think that the water leak would be seen first but if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing once! I hope that access is better than on a BX!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

By the sounds of it, I'd better do it on the 158k Xantia 1.9TD i'm getting soon...It's had the 60k belt changes (last one at 130k); sounds like to do it earlier than 180k. Is 36k better? Is is best to change the tensioner every 36k and the water pump as well?