How accurate is the fuel gauge on a Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Napoleon
My Cars:

How accurate is the fuel gauge on a Xantia?

Post by Napoleon »

Any Xantia, I mean (unless there is a marked difference between them, that is).

I want to be able to calculate fuel consumption properly, bot trying to guess within 10l how much fuel has been used by looking at the gauge.

Ta.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: How accurate is the fuel gauge on a Xantia?

Post by rory_perrett »

In my experience of 3 different Xantias, not accurate at all (in a scientific sense). Firstly it is not linear, full to 3/4 represents a different amount of fuel used than 1/2 to 1/4. The reading it gives depends on battery voltage, mine reads higher first thing in the morning than it did at the end of the previous day. At the top end, you can still get a significant amount of fuel in after the gauge shows full.

There is also a difference between cars, current car takes 63 ltrs when the light comes on, previous one would only take 58. Having said all that on the same car if you were to use the same point, like the fuel light coming on, you will get a fairly good figure.

I usually fill the tank each time and use a calculated rolling weighted average over 5 fills.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

About as accurate as using the engine to gauge if you have fuel or not (ie if it's running you have fuel, if it's not then you're empty).
Fill it up, reset your odometer, go for a drive, fill up and work out how much you used and how far you travelled.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

rory_perrett wrote:In my experience of 3 different Xantias, not accurate at all (in a scientific sense). Firstly it is not linear, full to 3/4 represents a different amount of fuel used than 1/2 to 1/4. The reading it gives depends on battery voltage, mine reads higher first thing in the morning than it did at the end of the previous day. At the top end, you can still get a significant amount of fuel in after the gauge shows full.
Sounds like my cars Rory :lol: :lol: :lol: They're all different. The HDi stays at apparently full for ages, then flies down to half, stays there for ever and then when it begins to move down a bit from half I fill it. The Activa seems the best of the lot and is fairly linear and accurate. The V6 is well, good for predicting earthquakes but little else. It never reads truly full and is basically pessimistic in all areas. It indicates the presence of fuel in the tank and little else...

So there you have it - three Xantias and all behave differently fuel-gauge-wise :roll:

The Activa, I believe, has had a new sender fitted in the not too distant past.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sulla

Post by Sulla »

The 2 Xantia's I have owned also had wildly behaving fuel gaugues. The 1.9Td used to fall through the first half quite steadily and then take an age to go from half full to the light on. The HDi will stay showing full for in excess of 200 miles then drop fairly steadily to 1/4 full, after this the last quarter tank goes within 30-50 miles depending on urban or extra urban. I know from experience that when the gaugue is showing 3/4 full it has used around 29-30 litres.

As these guys have said, the only way to measure fuel use is to brim the tank, drive a bit and then brim it again, sit down and calculate.
Xantia 2.0 HDi LX (my car)
C1 1.0 VTR (wifes car)

Previously owned:

Xantia 1.9 TD Temptation 2
C4 1.6 LX
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Cheer chaps, suggestions welcomed. (only one that is easy, anyway). :)
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

I don't trust any gauges on my Xantia HDI.

I know the speedo and odometer are out by nearly 10%

The fuel gauge stays at full for about 150 miles then drops to about half and stays there.

I recently took a series of temperature readings from different places around the engine. The temperature gauge was nowhere even close. It read much lower then then even the coolest part of the engine.

I gues the rev counter may be correct!
Xantia SX 1.9TD Gone to the breakers
Xantia LX 2.0HDI Taxed and MOT'd at last!
Xantia 1.8 16V SX On loan to brother-in-law
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stepto1 wrote: I gues the rev counter may be correct!
I wouldn't bank on it :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

my gauge definitely seems logarithmic.. the more fuel I use the quicker it moves.. i.e. stays 'full' for a long way.. the upper half takes reasonable time to go down, the latter half quick..
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Sulla wrote:As these guys have said, the only way to measure fuel use is to brim the tank, drive a bit and then brim it again, sit down and calculate.
It's important to fill at the same pump (facing the same way) each time; forecourts often slope gently and even a slight slope can make a significant difference to the amount of fuel the tank will take.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:Sounds like my cars Rory :lol: :lol: :lol: They're all different. The HDi stays at apparently full for ages, then flies down to half, stays there for ever and then when it begins to move down a bit from half I fill it. The Activa seems the best of the lot and is fairly linear and accurate. The V6 is well, good for predicting earthquakes but little else. It never reads truly full and is basically pessimistic in all areas. It indicates the presence of fuel in the tank and little else...
Sounds just like my V6 - it never reads full (only goes up to about 80%) but stays on that 80% for a long time, reads half when its got less than half in it (estimated based on mileage) and then drops rapidly below that. The low fuel light is supposed to come on with 8 litres left according to the book but last time I filled up when the light came on I could only put 52 litres into a 65 litre tank. :roll:

My 2 litre petrol had a lot more linear gauge from what I can remember, and it did go to full scale accurately, but I would never use the low petrol light or the gauge to estimate fuel consumption, brimming the tank is the only way.

For starters the fuel sender is heavily affected by body roll - park sideways on even a small slope and it will either read too little or too much petrol depending on whether the car is leaning to the left or the right. I frequently get the low fuel light coming on when I leave work because I park on a slight sideways slope, but then if I turn off and on again at home on the level it goes out again.

Both the low petrol light and the gauge itself have a very slow moving average system to make it deliberately slow to respond to changes in fuel level - otherwise the reading would be going up and down every time you cornered...(turning the key off and on resets it quickly to give a correct reading after filling up)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Napoleon wrote:Any Xantia, I mean (unless there is a marked difference between them, that is).

I want to be able to calculate fuel consumption properly, bot trying to guess within 10l how much fuel has been used by looking at the gauge.

Ta.
In my experience, they are useful for telling you there is "some" or "some more" fuel in the tank, and not a lot else..
Grayone
New User

Post by Grayone »

Having had just one Xantia, an X reg 2.0Hdi SX Estate since 2002, my experience is limited but I do agree with others. =D> Don't trust the gauge, it's not inaccurate just not linear. My method is to brim the tank, drive to the reserve light then brim again. After a while the odometer gives the best measure of how far you can go. Being anally retentive I keep records on Excel and have done on all my cars for some years :(
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Activa_Mike wrote:
Napoleon wrote:Any Xantia, I mean (unless there is a marked difference between them, that is).

Ta.
In my experience, they are useful for telling you there is "some" or "some more" fuel in the tank, and not a lot else..
That's about it, the light isnt exactly brilliant either
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'