brake fluid query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john
My Cars:

brake fluid query

Post by john »

the haynes states that my berlingo should use dot 4 sae j1703, is dot 4 all the same spec? or can i use any dot 4 or do i need to look for j1703?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

So long as it's not been opened forever, any DOT4 will serve fine. A drop in fluid level usually reflects brake pad wear.
john
My Cars:

Re: brake fluid query

Post by john »

yeah the fluid is low, I get a beep and the light comes on when I brake sharply, I will be checking the brakes at the weekend, not sure how to check drum brakes though: (
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Unscrew the hub nut and remove the washer, outer bearing parts and hub. Make sure you've at least 3/32" of pad or they're due for immediate replacement. With the drum off, look at the adjuster mechanism and figure out how to operate it both ways with the drum fitted. Reinstall drum and tighten, then adjust both sides until they brush lightly as you rotate the drum.

Note the handbrake must be off for all of this work!
citronut
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote:Unscrew the hub nut and remove the washer, outer bearing parts and hub. Make sure you've at least 3/32" of pad or they're due for immediate replacement. With the drum off, look at the adjuster mechanism and figure out how to operate it both ways with the drum fitted. Reinstall drum and tighten, then adjust both sides until they brush lightly as you rotate the drum.

Note the handbrake must be off for all of this work!
any DOT will do

also to add to the above
before trying to pull the rear drums off slacken the hand brake cable adjuster fully off,
and only adjust is back up after the drums are on with the shoe adjusters adjusted correctly,

regards malcolm