Beep! Airbag Fault.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Beep! Airbag Fault.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That's the message I'm getting up on my 2002 C5 HDI screen when I start out. Any pointers to where to look first or any 'nine times out of ten it's......' info?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Has it gone off? :shock:

More seriously, what about the pretensioners?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Re: Beep! Airbag Fault.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Nothing amiss apart from the message on the screen, I get the seatbelt reminder, connect the seatbelt and that goes off then there's the beep and the 'airbag fault' message pops up and goes off as I drive away returning the screen to the normal clock and temperature message.

I guess it's a connection problem somewhere, just wondered where to look first.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd still rate the underseat connectors first (ever notice the Xantia ones had a Renault emblem on their yellow plugs?). If the C5 has passenger detector in the front nearside seat base, there's another connector to unpolug, Servisol and reconnect. Haven't heard of any clockspring issues in C5s.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My estate used to do that - increasingly over the last year until it would pop up on the first start every day and then if the car was left unused through the day but started in the evening.
Would not reappear if the engine was run for five minutes or more.
I ascribed it to low voltage due to a current drain.

Current C5 often pops up a "Coolant Temperature Too High"! warning with attendant bleeps and lights on the dash including the "STOP" one.
As it is just as the engine starts after being stood overnight or longer it clearly is not overtemp, that's just silly.
It disappears after driving for a few hundred yards and the temperature gauge resumes it's usual position of in the blue 'clamp' then gradually rises as does the engine temperature which can be tracked by the increasing heat coming through the vents.

I have also observed that although the 'Auto' green light is on, it also puts the 'Eco' light on - presumably disabling the aircon to prevent the temperature increasing any more, until it realises it's mistake.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

addo wrote:I'd still rate the underseat connectors first (ever notice the Xantia ones had a Renault emblem on their yellow plugs?). If the C5 has passenger detector in the front nearside seat base, there's another connector to unpolug, Servisol and reconnect. Haven't heard of any clockspring issues in C5s.
The C5's pre-tensioners are in the inertia reel not in the seat stalks so they dont suffer from the usual under seat connection faults. The clockspring on the C5 is integral to the Com2000, not a common problem for this part of it to fail but certainly not unheard of.
Have a look at this thread which may help > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... s+footwell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Re my original post, I've just been told that it's not actually a fault and that because this model has no airbag warning light on the instrument panel this beep and message is just telling me that the system's working and shows for six seconds before going out the same as a warning light would. Can anyone confirm that, the handbook says nothing.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Mine of the same vintage normally doesn’t do that.
I did have that warning a very few times, then it went away, and may be back.
They don’t say ‘fault’ to say that there isn’t one.
It seems to occur only in summer when the dashboard is hot from the sun.
It’s probably only an indication fault, and I mightily ignore it.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Re my original post, I've just been told that it's not actually a fault and that because this model has no airbag warning light on the instrument panel this beep and message is just telling me that the system's working and shows for six seconds before going out the same as a warning light would. Can anyone confirm that, the handbook says nothing.
Sounds very plausible I must say. Otherwise the MOT testers would have no way of proving the integrity of the system. Have you had a Lexia on it any of you?
Clogzz wrote: It seems to occur only in summer when the dashboard is hot from the sun. It’s probably only an indication fault, and I mightily ignore it.
Heat and electronics really aren't easy bedfellows. You need a cooling fan under the dash for those occasions Clogzz :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Thanks, Jim. :)

That would be easy, the ends of the C5 dashboard have removable covers that would let a CPU fan in at each end. :lol:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Re my original post, I've just been told that it's not actually a fault and that because this model has no airbag warning light on the instrument panel this beep and message is just telling me that the system's working and shows for six seconds before going out the same as a warning light would. Can anyone confirm that, the handbook says nothing.
No it should definitely not say airbag fault on initial startup even though there is no warning light on the slightly higher spec models, If it's saying the message then its telling you that there is a fault.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Well I checked all the underseat connectors and they're as brand new, no high resistances and the fault remained, so today I've had the steering wheel off and a close look at the driver's air bag and the clockspring mechanism on the column switch module, couldn't see anything obviously amiss except there's a little plastic item that runs in a groove around the clockspring case, doesn't seem to have any purpose but the pip that runs in the groove had gone, I cobbled it up with a snip off a paper clip and put the lot back together, it now works ok, no fault message. :)

Whether that was the fault or maybe just disconnecting and reconnecting the airbag wires was all it needed we'll never know.
corsehf
My Cars:

Post by corsehf »

I have the same message and have done so now for the last 10 months.
I have checked the plugs under the passenger footwell and they were all ok, have yet to check the underseat plugs? - are there many??

Gibbo, can you give us some further details on how to remove the steering wheel without disturbing the airbag please and more on what you found and did??
Andy

2003 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE Est

2001 C5 2.2HDi SX Est (gone to C5 Heaven!)
2001 Omega 2.2DTi Est (stolen by Ex!!)
1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica
corsehf
My Cars:

Post by corsehf »

Bump!
Andy

2003 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE Est

2001 C5 2.2HDi SX Est (gone to C5 Heaven!)
2001 Omega 2.2DTi Est (stolen by Ex!!)
1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Sorry I thought you had resolved your problem after this thread
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hilit=+COM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My problem returned and I still haven't got round to fixing it, keep putting it off.
I've had a Lexia on it and it's definitely the switch/stalk pack below the steering wheel (as in the other thread) has an open circuit.

You can't get the wheel off without disturbing the airbag the airbag has to come off first.