Clutch slipping - big job?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MonkeyMark

Clutch slipping - big job?

Post by MonkeyMark »

Just been on a 180 mile round trip and the clutch seems to slip occasionally when overtaking etc and only slight pressure on the pedal causes it to start slipping at any time.

Is it a big job to change the clutch on a c8 (2 hdi)? Any tips? And any suggestions for where to get one from?
Had a few things come up recently and my budget is being stretched to the max, so any help is appreciated.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Clutch slipping - big job?

Post by citroenxm »

Its a gearbox off job, but more seriously it could be the DMF playing up. The C5's got DMF's which are damm expensive to replace. (Dual Mass Flywheel).. The Xantias fitted with these same engines NEVER had DMF's and there seems no reason if you have the 2.oi 8v HDi engine fitted you cannot replace the DMF with an Ordinary Solid flywheel and clutch conversion, which will last you a whole lot longer!

The job is only hard if your not that mechanically minded. As BOTH drive shafts should come out to aid gearbox removal...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you drive it carefully and don't let it slip it could last another few thousand miles, I did 10k+ on an XM after it started slipping just by driving it gently so it didn't slip. Go steady with it and you can put off the evil hour.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as you say slight pressure oh the pedal cause's it to slip i would say the clutch hasnt got much more life left in it,

these HDI's are more complicated to dismantle than the likes of a 1.9TD XANT,

so if you were paying someone to replace it expect the labour charge to be i bit more,

when i replaced the clutch and DMF on my friends 1.6HDI 307 it was a horrible job and i would think quite long and hard before taking another on,

regards malcolm
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

Yes not a lot of fun to do I'm afraid, depends which version of the 2.0hdi it is. Strangely enough the 1.6hdi versions of peugeot and citroens are worse to do than the 2.0l, mainly due to putting the turbo in the front. (why?) Once it starts to slip it could last for months or minutes, it's immpossible to predict, so do it asap.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think as the 1.6 307 HDI i did was the 110 this is worse than the 90 as it has the anti pollution filter,

is it possible the slipping clutch can cause the DMF to fail,

regards malcolm
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

I don't think the slipping clutch actually causes the dmf to fail, I think nthey fall apart on their own! I've had a couple of Picasso 1.6 DMFs where they've broken up internally, Horrible job,crazy design.