C5 Rear Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reblack68
My Cars:

C5 Rear Brakes

Post by reblack68 »

When I got my new C5 recently I was pleased to hear it had new discs on the back, because it save me a job- or so I thought.

Last weekend I replaced all the tyres and was disappointed to find that half the outer face was rusty on one of the rear discs, and the caliper bolt was scraping the inside of the wheel. I assumed the garage hadn't chipped the corrosion off when they replaced the disc. Annoying but easy to deal with, the bolts should come out easily enough as they can't have been in there that long- that was the theory anyway. I tackled the o/s caliper yesterday and had the usual massive fight to get the bolts out. I find it hard to believe they had been out recently. I managed in the end though.

Unfortunately the thread was stripped in one of the holes, which might have happened before I got there because that bolt protruded about 4mm less than the other. I had a pair of M10 bolts handy, so they are secured with nuts on the back. Brakes are fine at the moment but I have a couple of questions.

What is the correct way to deal with stripped threads here? Are my M10 8.8 bolts with nuts at the other end up to the job?

Also- is it possible to change the disc without removing the caliper? It looks very much as if the garage have managed this feat.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: C5 Rear Brakes

Post by Lighty »

I don't think you can change the disc without removing the calliper.
The bolts will be tight, because of the sealer in the calliper, it is very strong, so unless new calipers are fitted, it stay I there. They may have cross threaded it, as it's easy to do, if you try to refit an old caliper bunged up with thread lock.
A bolt with it on should be fine, only other option is a Wurth timesert, which is a small steel insert that replaces a knackered thread, bit like a heli coil, but much better.
Last edited by Lighty on 04 Jun 2012, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Helix oil? :lol: You got autocorrected! Typing on a tablet or phone, perchance?
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Lighty wrote:I don't think you can change the disc without removing the calliper.
The bolts will be tight, because of the sealer in the calliper, it is very strong, so unless new calipers are fitted, it stay I there. They may have cross threaded it, as it's easy to do, if you try to refit an old caliper bunged up with thread lock.
A bolt with it on should be fine, only other option is a Wurth timesert, which is a small steel insert that replaces a knackered thread, bit like a heli coil, but much better.
Lol corrected now! Pesky IPad [-X
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

So it's entirely possible for the bolts to feel like they've never been out, even after a few weeks. The one with the stripped thread was so bad you could push the bolt right in. I'm pretty sure I didn't strip it so maybe the garage stripped it and loaded the bolt with Loctite.

I'll just leave it with the nut on the end, it'll make removal easier the next time.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

reblack68 wrote:The one with the stripped thread was so bad you could push the bolt right in. I'm pretty sure I didn't strip it so maybe the garage stripped it and loaded the bolt with Loctite.
Good garage there :evil: A stripped thread on a caliper is a safety issue... I'm rather horrified they left it like that...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

I also have a C5 rear brake question: what is part number 8? Part 440721, set 2 shim. What's its purpose? My car never had it fitted.

The reason I'm asking is that I replaced my C5 II rear brake about 2 years ago at around 50K miles with a Mintex set (had to reuse the shims that go between the pad and calliper, Mintex set didn't come with replacements). Ever since then my rear brakes make a squalling noise when released and going uphill, so it looks like the pads have a little too much movement in there. I think they are touching the disc (still the original and lipped).

Any advice on how to get rid of that noise? Would the above part help? Or new original pads and shims? I know the best solution would be new pads/shims/discs, but I dread having to replace the discs due to calliper removal.
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI