If you don't like 13....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: If you don't like 13....

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote: Yes, because we can naturally relate to those measures... Like miles and pints.
is that a typo Jim it should read mine's a pint ( of TEA of course ) :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm
Bob1954

Post by Bob1954 »

Comical, had a similar picture of 111,111 many moons ago, although pre LCD displays...

Personally I find it strange the british obsession over legacy measures, as my early training as an engineer was at the change over to SI units, although I still retain the irritating habit of referring to about 10ft, or a pint, which gets a glassy look when you work in Europe.
I suppose being an island makes it easier to remain out of step with the rest of SI country, (which really we are) and blame everything on the EU (which really we do), but unlike the americans we have only a moat between us and the majority.... There again what would the majority know about tradition...
Ireland, if I recall correctly, went so far as to put distances as km, and speed limit signs also as kph. There was also a proposal that the Dail legislate changes from UK to European road use, ie RHD to LHD... Trucks changing over on January 1, 2013, cars on January 8, 2013....
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Bob1954 wrote:There was also a proposal that the Dail legislate changes from UK to European road use, ie RHD to LHD... Trucks changing over on January 1, 2013, cars on January 8, 2013....
so between those dates all trucks will be driving the opposite direction to cars on both carriage ways,
imagine the carnage,

regards
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: imagine the carnage,
But at least you'll see them coming :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Until the last real hardware store here closed (five years back), many items were sold in mixed measures. You would buy, for example, half a kilo of two inch nails.

Dope is sold by the ounce, heroin in grams. Something might measure one and a half metres, give or take an eighth. A nine inch wall is usually laid with 10mm joints. Blokes will quantify their manhood with inches, but a fat chick weighs 90 kilograms.
citronut
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote:
Blokes will quantify their manhood with inches,
i thought its girly's quantify a blokes manhood in inch's, will give you an ego boost to use mm's :roll: :wink:

regards malcolm