C5 mk1 climate control

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Duracell
My Cars:

C5 mk1 climate control

Post by Duracell »

Hi - When my wife's 2003 C5 2.0 Hdi is started, the climate control panel initially shows the heater fan running but the fan fails to run, after approx 30 seconds the display changes to show the fan shut - this happens in manual or auto and will stay off until the ignition is switched off and back on again. I'm struggling to diagnose the problem - the hayne's book only shows a wiring diagram for manual air conditioning models - I can't find any blown fuses and I've tried another control panel and fan speed controller without resolving the problem. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Richard
waynedance

Re: C5 mk1 climate control

Post by waynedance »

You will find it is more than likely the fan motor resistor which is located under the dash to the left of the clutch pedal. Is this what you have already tried?

My fans went funny last year and was not doing as the display suggested. Some say you can solder new parts to the board but I just got a new one.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Duracell
My Cars:

Post by Duracell »

Thanks, but I've already tried that, and I've just discovered that the flap motors are also not activating and the ECO button does not work, so I think I've got something more fundamental wrong. I'm trying to relate the 'typical heater wiring diagram' in the Haynes manual to the car, but it does not seem to bear much relationship to it so I'm a bit in the dark at the moment

Richard
redeye49

Post by redeye49 »

I have a 2002 2.2 hdi semi auto citroen C5 and my climate control started playing up over the last few weeks it was working brilliantly then it stopped working and then it started working and the other day i switched it off and when turned it on again it was just blowing fairly warm air from outside into the car and i left it running for about half an hour and suddenly it started working again and then when i stopped and locked the car up for the night and then the next day got back in and started the car and put the cars climate back on guess what?? yep you got it no cold air and its not worked since then, when in the auto mode will only allow the fan to go to the first speed setting and wont engage the a/c compressor even though the green light is iluminated and when in manual and set to 16 the lowest setting the compressor still wont cut in but it will speed up if i manually increase the fan speed but if i turn up the speed of the fan manually the fan gets faster but still no compressor just air at the outside air temperature!!. if i turn up the air temperature the fan works normally heating up the interior of the car as it should. all of the vents pass air through them as they should so the flaps are all working.
I have had the gas level checked by an automotive mobile a/c firm with a very good reputation and the system has plenty of presure in it and he tells me its an electrical fault.
does anyone have any idea whats wrong ?.
I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has had this problem and if they found out what the cause and cure is.
thanks in advance for any and all help
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Both these problems seem to me to point to an ECU problem. First try disconecting the battery for a few minutes. When you reconect the battery don't do anything (not even open a door) for at least 30 seconds and everything should reset ok. See if this helps.

If this doesn't help then maybe there's a problem with the temperature sensor input to the ECU. Maybe they're dirty/covered in dust? With dual zone climate control there's probably two sensors.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
legin
New User

Post by legin »

Hi first time on here and I have a similar problem. Just driving along with the air con off when the fan icon went blank but it was still running on about speed 3. I can't put it into eco,temparture seams to work normal,air distrubution normal,rear dimist works and front demist sends air to the screen but doesn't speed up the fan. Will try disconecting the battery as surgested but any other ideas welcome.The system did work normally yesterday on start up for about 1 minute but failed again. My car is a 52 plate C5 2.2hdi SX auto estate 69000 miles.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Look at post 2
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.