2.0 HDI Xantia passed its MOT at last!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 2.0 HDI Xantia passed its MOT at last!

Post by CitroJim »

Yes and a stuck-open thermostat causes the engine to take a long time to reach normal running temperature and in the case of an HDi, likely never. This is not good for the health of the engine generally and not good for occupants in the winter as the heater can be rubbish.

Too-cool running can cause condensation and corrosion in the sump and on a petrol, a rich mixture long after it's needed for starting and cold running. It's like running a carb engine with the choke pulled out... On a petrol it can also cause a big build-up of 'mayo' (emulsified oil) in the breathers and cam boxes.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

I thought they were designed to fail in the open position to avoid engine damage?
Xantia SX 1.9TD Gone to the breakers
Xantia LX 2.0HDI Taxed and MOT'd at last!
Xantia 1.8 16V SX On loan to brother-in-law
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Stepto1 wrote:I thought they were designed to fail in the open position to avoid engine damage?
i have seen thermostats which have just given up the will to open

regards malcolm