Xantia 2.0 16v to replace my 1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

airhead_eire
My Cars:

Xantia 2.0 16v to replace my 1.9TD

Post by airhead_eire »

Hi guys,

I've recently taken ownership of a 1999 2.0 litre 16v Xantia to replace my damaged 1997 1.9TD.
The first thing I've noticed is a huge difference in power ! The petrol engine has surprised me
with it's pickup and mid range acceleration. Albeit at the expensive of economy !
What are people's opinions on this engine - is it reliable ? And what fuel consumption can I
expect ?
Two problems I have are:
1. The rad cooling fan comes on and stays on once the engine is turned off ! Left long enough
this will pull the battery down. I have pulled out it's fuse for now. Any ideas ?
2. The central locking opens itself immediately after locking i.e. the latches pop back up.
I have oiled the locks and sprayed some WD-40 down behind the latches and the door cards.
To no avail. If I press the passenger side latch down it stays down without locking the other
doors. If I press down the driver's door latch they all close and then open immediately. If
I hold it down it will stay down (but just for that door). What does this indicate ?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :!:

Mark.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: Xantia 2.0 16v to replace my 1.9TD

Post by rory_perrett »

If you lock the car with one of the front doors open it will immediately unlock the car again. From what you have said I wonder if the central locking system "thinks" the front passenger door is not shut. Not sure how it detects an "open" door but from what you say it sounds like the front passenger door is not "talking to" the rest of the system. When you press down the driver's door latch, does the front passenger door lock albeit only for a moment? If the central locking is not working on that side at all it could be a broken wire in the bundle that goes into the door from the A pillar.

Rory
airhead_eire
My Cars:

Post by airhead_eire »

Hi Rory,

Yes, I think the front passenger doors lock momentarily before popping open again.
I was thinking it would be one of the front doors but not sure which one. Going on what
you say I will look at the wiring on the passenger door and see what I can find.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

And here for the cooling fans:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=31403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The LOCKING issue is an EASY repair!!! Really it is!

The passenger door lock as said is not being seen by the ECU, and this is simply because the plug on the lock needs cleaning up!

To find out which lock it is, sit in the car, and press down on the passenger one, if it ONLY on its own goes down thats the one its not seeing, however, if you press the drivers one and it locks and unlocks, that too confirms the passenger one is the one not being seen.

Really it is easy to fix as its the passenger one, it should NOT be a broken wire as the doors arent opened as often as drivers ones so it WILL be the plug on the lock inside the door.! Remove the door card, and simply take the plug off the lock and push it back on then try again, and it should work!

Ive had this on a good few xantias now!

As for the engine itself, the 2.0i 16v engine is infact a VERY good unit. Im not a petrol fan, but the 16v lumps are very good indeed!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
airhead_eire
My Cars:

Post by airhead_eire »

That's encouraging regarding the lock. I will be on the case tomorrow. I have sat in the car last night and tried pushing down on the locks
and it seems to be the passenger one alright going on what you say.
Also good to hear the 16v motor is well regarded ! What kind of fuel consumption can I expect ?
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

I’ve had my 2,0 16v Xantia for 9 years, now. It was 4 years old when I bought it and had 47k miles on the clock. It’s now got about 130k miles. It’s the best 2 litre 4-cylinder engine I’ve driven and, in my opinion, is ideally suited to the car. It’s smooth and seems to have a dead flat torque curve. On a flat/slightly downhill road it will pull from 30mph in 5th up to whatever speed you want. It will use less than ¼ litre of oil (Halfords 10/40 part synthetic) between changes and still sounds as sweet as a nut.
I live in the south Cotswolds, just in the Severn vale so most of my driving is up hill and down dale. I don’t drive for economy but I don’t hoon around like a lunatic, either. (Well only occasionally). I get between 30 and 33 mpg under those conditions. Longer trips, motorways etc I get 35/36 mpg but again I don’t drive for economy. (The engine purrs at 4000 rpm in 5th)
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
airhead_eire
My Cars:

Post by airhead_eire »

I was surprised how torquey the engine felt. Much quieter than my diesel and lots quicker.
Harry1975

Post by Harry1975 »

I have the 1.8 16v engine and i love it !, i get about 25-28 around the city and im heavy footed , well its a 16v :) i get 30-33 on motor way at 70 ,wink wink lol. When it come to the fan staying on ,its normal and does not drain the battery . As you have found out the 16v engines have quite a punch to them, i love peoples faces when they see my Xantia kick their arses off the lights, it has 2 power bands as you have found out you get the first as soon as you pull off and the second at 4000 to 4500 and drops off at 6000 before it hits the limiter at 7000. I want the 2.0 you have next as you have 40 more BHP mines 110, you 150. Ive just done the head on mine its like a new engine.If you have any other questions just as i have done nearly every job there is on mine x2 lol gearbox ,clutch,clutch pedal clip ,breaks, ball joints ,sphares , water pump, starter motor, heater matrix, head gasket just to name a few lol , i think i love my car to much lol, never mind shes a bit beaten up due to people going down the sides of my car, but in not worried as im running her into the ground slowly had her 4 years now and treated her as the 1.8 16v she deserves shes a sporty model that got passed by , by many ,well their loss our gain. parts are cheap and they are easy to work on , they hug the road and handle like a train on tracks but so smooth. Happy motoring :)
Harry1975

Post by Harry1975 »

forgot to say i have 127000 on the clock and when i took head off to do gasket checked the boars and there was no ware on them, piston head ware almost clean, valves i great nick to.
airhead_eire
My Cars:

Post by airhead_eire »

Harry1975 wrote:I have the 1.8 16v engine and i love it !, i get about 25-28 around the city and im heavy footed , well its a 16v :) i get 30-33 on motor way at 70 ,wink wink lol. When it come to the fan staying on ,its normal and does not drain the battery . As you have found out the 16v engines have quite a punch to them, i love peoples faces when they see my Xantia kick their arses off the lights, it has 2 power bands as you have found out you get the first as soon as you pull off and the second at 4000 to 4500 and drops off at 6000 before it hits the limiter at 7000. I want the 2.0 you have next as you have 40 more BHP mines 110, you 150. Ive just done the head on mine its like a new engine.If you have any other questions just as i have done nearly every job there is on mine x2 lol gearbox ,clutch,clutch pedal clip ,breaks, ball joints ,sphares , water pump, starter motor, heater matrix, head gasket just to name a few lol , i think i love my car to much lol, never mind shes a bit beaten up due to people going down the sides of my car, but in not worried as im running her into the ground slowly had her 4 years now and treated her as the 1.8 16v she deserves shes a sporty model that got passed by , by many ,well their loss our gain. parts are cheap and they are easy to work on , they hug the road and handle like a train on tracks but so smooth. Happy motoring :)
The fan stays on in that it never actually goes off ! It will stay running indefinitely......it could be running the next day if I didn't intervene !!
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Is it still running with the key out ?
Is that one fan or both fans still running ?
It’s either a sticking relay or a bodgie from the previous owner.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Harry1975

Post by Harry1975 »

the fan runs for a short while after engine is off and is hot over 82 degrees shuts off after engine temp is lower then 82. The 16v engines run hot thats how they were designed, they run up to 110 degrees, my fan has never run the battery down and goes off after a few mins when the engine is very hot. not all the time just when engine very hot
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Is the Bitron (Brown) sensor OK? If it's open-circuit that'll keep the fans on constantly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...