Blower Ignition Relay mod on an S2 Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Blower Ignition Relay mod on an S2 Xantia

Post by RichardW »

gadgetgricey wrote: If I "join/bridge" points 3 and 5 on relay 8048, should that in theory by pass the relay and provide 12V direct to the blower motor.(8045)
That should prove that the issue is caused by points 1&2 on the relay, not causing it to switch.
That's spot on Dave, and exactly what I did to mine. I found only about 2V to earth on the switching pin (no 1) - ran in a new supply from under the steering column and all was well again.

gadgetgricey wrote:Also going to check the blower motor first to make sure it has no power, but getting lost in the diagram somewhat, but thought the above might be a good test.
Right again. Just drop the blower out, and check for 12V between the black and red wires (do it with the engine running - these are probably live all the time, but should definitely be if the engine is running).
Richard W
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Very sad I know but I had 10 mins spare on a car park, waiting for my daughter to come out of band practice and had wires and stuff in the boot of the car.

Confirmed there was voltage at point 3 on the relay. (Was expecting it to be only when the engine was running, but was a constant feed)

Then joined points 3 and 5 together expecting the fan to start when the engine was running - Nothing :( :? .

Air con switch/light was now working, but no fan at all.

Daughter then appeared, so did not have chance to check if the blower motor had power, but just seems odd that two things would go at once??

Put everything back the way it was, and headed home.

Just wondered if this gave any clues to someone with more knowledge of wiring diagrams and advise what to check next.

Cheers

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Dave,

Have a read through the thread I posted earlier. The solution to mine was towards the last page I believe. Sounds very similar to the fault I had.

Regards

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You're making progress Dave! You need to drop the blower out next, and check for 12V on the thick wires. First with relay in place, and then with with pins bridged out. When checking for fan running, you did have the fan set to something other than stop..... :lol: Constant feed at 3 is OK, relay is switched by ignition being on, which then puts main power onto fan. Fan only starts when climate ecu gives appropriate signal to controller (ie engine running).
Richard W
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

RichardW wrote:When checking for fan running, you did have the fan set to something other than stop..... :lol:
May not have done the first time :oops:, but did realise and check with the slider switch on full.

More stupid questions to come when I have checked voltage at the blower switch.

Thanks again

- Dave -
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Arrrrgggghhhhh, but at the same time Yeaaaaah.

Got in the car to come home tonight and the blower has started working again.

Great that its working ( and long may it ), but cant really continue with the fault finding when its working properly.

To be continued......... at some point in the future.

- Dave -
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

gadgetgricey wrote: Great that its working ( and long may it ), but cant really continue with the fault finding when its working properly.

To be continued......... at some point in the future.
Oh great :roll: Great that it's working but great in the other sense that it's stopped all fault-finding :twisted:

Reminds me of all the years I worked in radio communications. What you've seen there Dave was all too common in my old profession. I once had a piece of kit (which can now be seen in the Bletchley Park museum :roll: ) which had an intermittent fault which would clear the moment test gear got anywhere near it. I even left an oscilloscope connected to it on a semi-permanent basis and even then the fault would clear just before anything could be spotted. It took three years for it to become solid enough to finally diagnose...

Therefore I empathise strongly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The non-op power supply should be jumpered across as a radio power feed, the speakers turned up full, and then the operator strips stark naked, in the middle of the road beside his car, in the darkness of night.

You can guarantee then, that St Murphy will assure you the everlasting presence of a full 12V and adequate amperage, such that everyone's attention will be drawn to the scene...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:The non-op power supply should be jumpered across as a radio power feed, the speakers turned up full, and then the operator strips stark naked, in the middle of the road beside his car, in the darkness of night.
Whilst this might work a treat down your way Adam, such behaviour in the UK will certainly cure Dave's problem. It'll be the last thing on his mind whilst he enjoys detention at Her Majesty's pleasure :lol:

Pom's are not tolerant to such behaviour, more's the pity...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Shame really; farcical nudity can be great entertainment.

From memory, my great-grandmother still had some of those Victorian skirts to preserve the modesty of a dining table's legs...
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

gadgetgricey wrote: To be continued......... at some point in the future.

- Dave -
Well I said to be continued at some point. Blower has stopped working again :evil:

Where as before the air con light was dim or not showing, now the air con light is fully lit and bright, but nothing from the blower.

Hoping to get a look the weekend, but away with work on Saturday, and then the Grand Prix on Sunday (Just watching on TV, not attending mores the pity)

Assuming I'm not getting 12V to the blower, but was getting 12V to the relay before. Will check those again, but its the connections in between that worry/confuse me :-D

Cheers

- Dave -
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Could be the blowers brushes
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool