Blower Ignition Relay mod on an S2 Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

Blower Ignition Relay mod on an S2 Xantia

Post by gadgetgricey »

Well the blower has stopped working on my new Hdi, which seller did advise of, but must have just been lucky the past week or so....

Now I always thought that the heated window stopped working when the blower "failed", but mine appears to be working OK, well the light on the dashboard comes on. The only other thing that does not appear to work is the air con light on the button.

Going to try and have a look tomorrow, but might have to leave till next weekend.

Does this still sound like the ignition switch issue, or something else.

Many Thanks

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Blower Ignition Relay mod on an S2 Xantia

Post by citroenxm »

no dave. s2 cars already have the mod done at factory.

you will need to look closer at the following... plug connections on the blower motor underside... give them a wiggle.. if nothing helps there then its a possible chance theres a dodgy connection behind the fuse box.. start the car and next time while the engine is running and the fan isnt running release and pull the fuse box down. disturbing the wires behind it and see if that does anything... if not. replace the transister board on the blower motor itself....

it release the fuse box.. pull the red tab outward the slide the fuse box Upwards towards the dash front and pull out....
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

I had an intermittent fault on my HDi blower which turned out to be the brushes that needed replacing. At first a thump underside would get it going again, but eventually it stopped all together.
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Well, did a search on the issue and found the thread where Paul mentions removing and replacing the 35A relay above the throttle pedal.

No luck - even swapped the relay for one from the breaker.

Going to get the volt meter out the weekend and see if power is getting to the blower.

Are there any other motors/relays anywhere. Or is it just 12V - fuseboard - relay - blower motor.

(As a temp fix, could I just add a 12V feed direct on a fused switch from the aux cig lighter in the passenger footwell. - Would that at least get the blower operating a full speed)

cheers

- Dave -
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

This thread gives fault finding on a similar problem, and also a link back to David's (long!) thread onthe same subject: Blower info

I would check for 12V at the blower on the thick wires, 12V at the realy (power and switching side) and then take it from there.

You could run a temp feed in - dependign on whether the climate ECU is powered up or not, this may or may not allow the blower to run (controlled or at speed...!)

Remeber for fault finding, the blower only runs with the engine running!
Richard W
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Hi Dave,

Dont think I mentioned removing a relay, but DID mention moving the fuse box for dodgy wires...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

citroenxm wrote:Hi Dave,

Dont think I mentioned removing a relay, but DID mention moving the fuse box for dodgy wires...
Not in this thread, but a previous one.
citroenxm wrote:Just check the 35a RELAY above the Throttle pedal under the dash...

Ive a HDI 110 Exclusive Xantia here, which didn't have a blower...

So with ignition on, and blower on max, I removed the GREEN 35a relay, and then pushed it back in and HEY PRESTO the blower burst into life...

Switched it on/off a few times, ignition on/off a few times, and it carried on working.! A slightly easyer thing to try before going all into the ignition switch mod....

rgds
Paul
Thought it might be worth a try, quick fixs and all that :-D
RichardW wrote:This thread gives fault finding on a similar problem, and also a link back to David's (long!) thread onthe same subject: Blower info
Cheers Richard, had found the thread in the sticky section, see above. But not come across this one. Lot to read through, but noticed "Xantia Dave" is only a couple of miles away. Might drop him a pm :lol:

Thanks for everyone's input, hopefully going to have look this weekend .

- Dave -
sprout
My Cars:

Post by sprout »

I went through all this saga with fault as OP.

I changed all sorts and hours of fiddling chasing wires etc.

It got on my t**s so I went to a local auto electrician centre that I happen to have good faith in.

Picked the car up an hour later all working fine, blower back on and air-con light back and all working.

There was a break in a wire within the loom.
Cannot remember where they said it was (sorry) but they just ran a new wire from point "A" to "B"
Current: C5 2008 2.0HDi Auto Exclusive (Ireland born) + VW Touareg V10
Previous Cits: CX2000, BX 1.9L, BX 16V, Xant VSX TD, Xant 2.0HDI (110) Exclusive
Some others: Fords1600E, Capri 3000GXL, Granada Scorpio, Mitubishi Starion Saab's 900, 900 Turbo, 9000 Aero, 2 Jeeps
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

the wires useually break between the main large 40amp fuse behind the battery and the in car fuse box which looses power to the said items hence me saying about moving the fuse box... i had this on about four xantias now...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Here's the link to the thread going over the problems I had with my blower motor:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... lit=blower

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Well best laid plans and all that.

Got this week off with the kids, and the weather has been :twisted: :twisted: , so faced with the option of staying in the house or going into the pouring rain in the garden. I've stayed in the house.......

However have been looking through all the previous threads regarding this issue, and even tried to read the electrical diagrams kindly provided bu Jim. As Paul also stated I think the fault is going to be before the fuse box (fuse 21) if I'm reading the charts correctly.

But believe there is also a fuse (BMF1) under the bonnet, but then that shows BMF2 as the wire that goes to F21, but the "fuses?" A, B and D within.

Sorry to ask what is probably a real numpty question but what's the fuse location in the engine bay. Know the fuse box location under the engine bay, just not sure which one to test.

Thanks again

- Dave -
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

if you remove the black cover just above the abs block behind the battery you should then find three LARGE orange fuses.. iirc they have letters on them denoting which ones they are.. they are your bf0 and bf1 maxi fuses that then run to the fuse box and feed a veriety of the smaller cuircuits.. theres possibly a break between there and the fuse box...

the feed wires are a browny type colour they run from the fuses out the passenger side inner wing round the frnt across the front of the engine bay below the fans and round up behind the drivers wing into the car... pull the fuse box down and youll see the ends in the fuse box.. i think they plug into the middle but are the thickest wires in the back of the fuse box... its tight inthere.. theres not a lot of wire slack...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Well its not raining, so been out this morning to try and fix this.

Had hoped that the problem lay behind the fuse box, so was going to "borrow" the feed from the heated rear window to get everything working. However there is power to the fuse 21 so that cunning plan went for a burton.

Had a look at the wiring diagram and the next item is "8048" which I assume is the green relay (That I swapped before) so presume is OK.

However I then get lost on the diagram????

No light on the air con switch, so presume is after the fuses, but before the fan itself.

What would be the next thing to check?

Many Thanks

- Dave -
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

8048 is your blower relay. In my diagrams the power goes from fuse 20 (underdash) ultimately to the blower motor, so perhaps you should be looking for continuity between the relay output pin and the blower fan plug. The relay output pin will be either 3 or 5; with engine running one will have 13-odd volts via F20 while the other will be nil voltage but have continuity to the blower plug.
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

As you can tell from the above, electrics are not my thing, so looking for reassurance on any action I'm going to take..... (burnt out some wiring in the steering wheel last time, trying to fix the horn :oops: )

Referring to Jim's schematic diagram that he provided earlier

I've got 12v at fuse 21, and also got 12V at fuse 5.

If I "join/bridge" points 3 and 5 on relay 8048, should that in theory by pass the relay and provide 12V direct to the blower motor.(8045)
That should prove that the issue is caused by points 1&2 on the relay, not causing it to switch.

Also going to check the blower motor first to make sure it has no power, but getting lost in the diagram somewhat, but thought the above might be a good test.

Cheers

- Dave -