Vented Discs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alaws

Vented Discs

Post by alaws »

I've been thinking of uprating my wifes ZX with vented discs on the front.
Can anybody advise whether:
1. It is a straight caliper and disc change.
2. Will there be a requirement for the brake bias to be changed as the fronts are now more powerful.
Thanks
Andy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

With the exception of the 20i 16v which has 266mm dia. discs, all other ZX's have 247mm dia. discs vented or not, this means vented discs will not be any more powerful than solid ones as far as friction area goes though there may be some advantage if the caliper pistons have a larger area, which I doubt.
What having vented discs does mean is that they will, because of their extra bulk take longer to heat up and because of the venting they will cool down quicker and be less likely to fade, so its a good idea to go over to vented and IIRC its a straight swop over to vented calipers and discs.
Dave
alaws

Post by alaws »

Cheers Dave,
I Hoped it might have been that simple.
Andy
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

For what it is worth, my 96 ZX Elation 1.9td has got vented, no problem.
But whether you have 266 or 247dia, vented or solid discs. At the end of the day they are only any good, if the pads are of good quality from a reputable manufacturer.
Sooty
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

All 1.9TD hatch and estate, and the 1.9D estates have vented front discs.
Aha..don't buy 266 discs and 247 calipers that wont work.
Dave
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Pretty pointless changing the Discs unless you get better pads, & then put up with them being worse than standard until they have warmed up enough..
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The ZX IIRC is not undergutted in the braking department.
(That should provoke either howls of fury or general agreement)
Citroen usually know what they are doing (Even if nobody else knows exactly why;-))so unless you like spending time and money for the sake of it, leave it alone. Your insurers probably won't see it your way either, the vehicle now being modified and therefore obviously capable of 0-400 in 3 seconds!
Thompatruck
My Cars:

Post by Thompatruck »

I'm just about to change the discs, pads and rear shoes on my TD ZX, could anyone suggest good combinations at a reasonable price? What's the gsf selection like?
Cheers[:D]