Xantia TD Bayonet Radiator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Xantia TD Bayonet Radiator

Post by ecohouse1 »

Hi

I am overdue to fit a better Rad to my Xant TD. Its looking a bit tatty with blue crystaline at the bottom.

I have heard that the Bayonet connectors are a major pain. Whats the general concensus, ie is it better to fit an S1 Rad and replace the hoses with standard ones or will the Bayo connectors pop off ok and refit to the new rad in most cases?

Worth getting a second hand rad from an online breakers?

Also can I cut the bayo connectors off and push the end of the hose onto a standard stub Xantia Rad?

Notice that AEP had it out of stock last week when I looked.

Thanks in advance

Alan
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Xantia TD Bayonet Radiator

Post by spider »

The bayonet connectors are part of the hose itself, if they are the same as the 406 ones.

The 'problem' with a used hose / radiator is the metal in the connector corrodes so you sometimes have to destroy either the hose connector or the radiator itself to separate them, depending on which you wanted to keep.

As a guide I always used to include the cost of a bottom hose when fitting a 406 XUDT radiator in the estimate as a note that it may be required (to avoid them shouting later mainly) , I'd say its about 30% chance you'd need one too.

The top hose rarely gives problems, probably as you can get at it a bit better which does help, although attempting to prise these connectors is not good as it can cause damage can result in them being rendered useless.

Unless your car has the all plastic (306TD style) ones which are not too bad actually, replace the o-ring though after carefully cleaning the inner's out. Again, part of the hose itself.

Random off topic but on topic thoughts:

I remember some early 405's had a odd connector they used for about a year if that, they were "fun" too.

Andy wonders what was wrong with worm/jubilee type clips or better still the closed spring clips (the type you push the "ears" together to open) they rarely caused problems and being perfectly round did not have the 'cutting' effect of a worm/jubilee clip. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Thanks Spider

I am thinking along the lines of if I have to replace the bottom hose, then might as well replace the top hose at the same time and fit a standard radiator with normal stubs and use jubee clips? I take it if I cut the bayonet end off the hose, it will not fit onto a stub using a jubilee?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You could do that, if you can get the hoses that way (406's you did not have the option as the earlier ones had the push fit with the metal inner and a clip) , 306's had the bayonet fixing completely on diesels.

If you can get standard hoses then yes. I seem to recall the bottom hose is a double one on the 406, it has a small thinner hose attached, not sure if the Xantia is the same but you'll know what I mean. Those larger Y clips are better if you can get them, cannot recall exactly what has them I think some petrol 406's at the top hose connector on the rad, and 206's (not big enough on those no doubt) you know the ones I mean ? , they won't pinch the hose the same way a jubilee clip will.

I don't think it will fit if you chop the fitting off, I'm sure the size is slightly different to stop that, although you'd need a standard radiator obviously to do it anyway. I'm also thinking its tight on space anyway (again talking about a 406) so cutting a bit off would mean it would not fit.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Bannedbiker
My Cars: 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6S
1997 Eunos Roadster

Post by Bannedbiker »

I replaced the radiator and hoses on my '99 Xantia TD, what a pain in the @$** job that was!!!! Mine has the hoses with bayonets too. I got an almost new radiator off Ebay (had only done 120 miles on a car then the head gasket went. Cost me £30 including postage, hope you can get lucky like that) and got both hoses just in case.

It was a good job I got the hoses as there was no chance of removing them from the radiator, they were stuck solid (even after I'd removed the rad I couldn't shift them).

The 2 hoses cost about £60 if remember rightly, top one about £13 and top about £46 I think. Bottom is a "Y" shape.

To remove I had to remove the front bumper and washer bottle. I had to cut the bottom hose flush at the bayonet so the radiator would come out, there isn't much room round there so this was a pain.

If you allow an afternoon to do the job (and plus gas the washer bottle bolts!!!) you should be ok.

Martin.
2003 Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
Previously owned 1999 Citroen Xantia 1.9 td and a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.9
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

spider.. early 306s.. thats 1993 to around 1996 tds had "normal" clip hoses not bayonet ones...

i agree.. dump the bayonet hoses.. theres no need to remove the bumper but you do need the washer bottle out, this useually means breaking the straps as the bolts sieze on the captive nuts.. but break them in the correct place and you can use cable ties to secure it back. removing the bottle gains access to the T piece of the bottom hose that goes to the expansion bottle lower outlet it also helps easyer acess to the bottom hose... be warned.. the bottle will dump all washer water no matter which way you try... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto