2008 C5 2.0HDi intermittent cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

markflip

2008 C5 2.0HDi intermittent cutting out

Post by markflip »

Having had and loved 2 x Xantia estates I replaced the wife's car (one of the last Xantia 2.0 HDi's) with a new shape C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive, which is an absolutley fabulous car! We had no problems with it for the first 3 weeks, but it has recently cut out four times. It does so at low revs - three times while trundling over speed bumps in 2nd gear tickover and once when changing from 6th to 5th after having to slow to 50mph for a lorry ahead. On each occasion it flashes up 'ESP fault' then 'Engine fault' then 'Oil pressure too low' on the dashboard display and all power is lost, but once the car is stopped it restarts straight away no problem. I stuck a Snap-on Solus on it and it showed a stored P0215 fault code (fuel pump relay) but I'm not convinced that is the cause, so I've cleared that fault and will see if it re-appears. I only cleared it the other day and it hasn't cut out since, so can't confirm or negate this yet.

Wondering if anyone has had similar problems - it seems to happen on downhill slopes (coming off speed tables or gear change occurrence was on quite a steep downhill) which suggests to me some sort of fuel supply problem (partially blocked fuel filter/airlock)???

Any suggestions/advice welcome, thank you.

Can anyone tell me where the fuel supply relay/wiring is as the emanual I have is very unhelpful!
seasiderwarren2

Re: 2008 C5 2.0HDi intermittent cutting out

Post by seasiderwarren2 »

Hi, I'm getting similar faults with my 2009 2.0 HDi VTR+.

It usually happens as accelerating and changing up but also sometimes at moderate speeds. I've never had an occurrence at motorway speeds.

I find I get problems in batches with 4 or 5 occurrences in a 15 mile journey then maybe nothing again for several weeks.

I find mine usually starts with an anti pollution system fault message, then a variety of other messages from ABS system to power steering pump then always low oil pressure and loss of all power. It always then starts first time after stopping?

I thought it was maybe a software bug or maybe a flywheel sensor but I guess this would give me a more recognizable error code.

I would appreciate it if anybody has any idea's.

Thanks for your help.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

There is a recall if you look at vosa site. I can't check now.
I think it was incorrect reading of low oil pressure causes engine to stall. Sounds like your issue.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls ... nk&tx=VOSA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After getting your hopes up it might not affect 2008 cars sorry.
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
seasiderwarren2

Have now, after Citroën diagnostics had the "fuse box" replaced and so far so good no re-occurrence of the faults. Hope this is of help to others
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Glad it's fixed. Was it painful?
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
seasiderwarren2

£221 all told, so could have been worse.
I was worried it was a duel mass flywheel problem or antipolution system fault.