Xantia gearboxes work better with oil in!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mirafioriman

Xantia gearboxes work better with oil in!

Post by mirafioriman »

Been planning to change the gearbox oil for some time but never quite got round to it despite having bought the oil.

Today I finally set about the task and after removing the filler/level plug no oil came out :shock:

It gets worse :roll: put nearly one litre of new oil in and still nothing :shock:

So I've put it back together and went for a drive. It goes into gear much easier and is much quieter particularly in reverse :)

I have for some time had some oil leaks so I'm now pretty sure that it's mostly from the gearbox. I'm guessing the driveshaft seals are the likely culprits.

So the plan is to top it up correctly and run it for a little while, change the leaky seals and then drain and refill the transmission with new oil.

One question. Is there a breather for the gearbox and if so where is it?
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
citrov6
My Cars:

Re: Xantia gearboxes work better with oil in!

Post by citrov6 »

bit more robust than the autos then!
would of thought the breather was somewhere obvious like on top of the reservoir, strange
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

They are incredibly robust and will run with little or no oil under light loads for years. It's only when you subject them to a very heavy load, like towing, they complain bitterly.

As a friend with a 306 once found out...

It's a good ideas to determine why the box was empty. Most likely due to failed driveshaft seals...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

It usually is the driveshaft seals. That ruined gearbox was totally f*cked, clutch wasnt all that clever either
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

Was going to say exploding clutches aren't much fun either, and first gear always got knackered in my audi until I put a diesel gearbox in there
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote: clutch wasnt all that clever either
Indeed, the gearbox in question was a little kippered in places...

The clutch was well cooked on account of the fact the 'box stuck in third gear (or rather that was the only gear available at the end) and the clutch was slipped magnificently to ensure continued forward motion of sorts with a Rover 75 on the back. :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

mirafioriman wrote:... One question. Is there a breather for the gearbox and if so where is it?

If you also have manual BE3 gearbox, it's capacity is 1.8 l.
After draining I use the breather for filling and simply pour down 2 liters :)
Breather has a plastic cap and the plastic nut can be unscrewed for a faster filling.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Thanks. I doubt the breather is blocked so will need to get some new seals. I managed to add oil to the box through the filler/level plug pretty easily.

mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Lovely sunny day here :)

Checked the oil level again today. Took another 0.25 litres or so and now it's at the right level.

So now to source some driveshaft seals and replace them.

As a slight aside I checked the oil (for the first time in quite a while) and it was still on the max mark on the dipstick. The oil leak must be coming from the gearbox and not the engine.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mirafioriman wrote: The oil leak must be coming from the gearbox and not the engine.
You can tell easily by getting some on your finger and smelling it. Gearbox oil smells very sickly sweet...
Jim