Xantia Front Wheel Bearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Xantia Front Wheel Bearing

Post by xantia_v6 »

One of my front wheel bearing has been grumbling for a while, but has been getting more noticeable this week, maybe since I replaced the suspension arm bushes, the new bushes are stiffer and transmitting the noise more effectively.

It seems loudest at 50MPH but is quiet on a RH bend. But which one is it :?:
RichardW wrote:"if it is a wheel bearing, the noise will get louder when the weight is thrown on to the side with the faulty one."

Since this a Xantia, not always! I had one go that I was convinced was the N/S/F, based on the above. But when I took it to the gargae, it turned out to be the O/S/F - ie it went quiet when loaded. :twisted: Got to love these Xantias 8) Incidentally that was only noisy above 30 mph,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Front Wheel Bearing

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, if one's on the way out than both will be. Swap both...

My press awaits :wink: Get in touch to make an appointment. Sadly not next weekend though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jack one wheel off the graund whilst on normal suspension height,
choke the rear wheels, let the hand brake off and stick it in second gear with the engine running, you should be able to determine which side has gone after trying both one side at a time though,

if you can't work it out doing this, the only sure way is remove front pads and drive shaft from each hub, then you will feel the one with bearing on its way out,

regards malcolm
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I've always done this on a 2 post lift, so obviously both wheels are free, so you could use a trolley jack and lift the front of the car for convenience, instead of one at a time.
7 times out of 10 it's the other to the one you think it is !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

xantia_v6 wrote: ... It seems loudest at 50MPH but is quiet on a RH bend. But which one is it :?: ...
Usually when the wheel is under load (while bend), the defective wheel bearing becomes louder :) but this is not a rule. In mine front left behaved like that and now front right is doing the same and I have already booked next Wednesday for replacement. I think it has served very well, considering that clock shows over 230 :roll: =D> and it's still original factory assembly.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citronut wrote:jack one wheel off the graund whilst on normal suspension height,
choke the rear wheels, let the hand brake off and stick it in second gear with the engine running
Bugger that :shock: despite the differential you're a braver man than me Malcolm.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:
citronut wrote:jack one wheel off the graund whilst on normal suspension height,
choke the rear wheels, let the hand brake off and stick it in second gear with the engine running
Bugger that :shock: despite the differential you're a braver man than me Malcolm.
Bugger that seconded :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

HDI wrote:I've always done this on a 2 post lift, so obviously both wheels are free, so you could use a trolley jack and lift the front of the car for convenience, instead of one at a time.
the reason its the other 7 times out of 10 is you are spinning both wheel up together,
the idea that i use with 99% success is im spinning one wheel at a time under controlled condition's,
whilst sitting in the car, not to much RPM and the other wheel firmly on the ground,
this way you will almost every time hear the noisy bearing,

CitroJim wrote:
DickieG wrote:
Bugger that seconded :)
POO POO
the way the diff works the wheel of the ground spins and the one on the ground does not,

imagine having one drive wheel in a muddy ditch and the other on a solid surface, the car wont go anywhere as the wheel in the mud will just spin,

although i do agree this test has to be done with all/any dangers in mind, and as long as the lifted wheel does not touch the ground there should not be any problems ,

i would not use this method on a 4X4 :shock: :-D :twisted:

regards malcolm

regards malcolm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I fully understand how a differential works but even then the static wheel will be attempting to pull the car off of it's supports, I might have considered this if the handbrake worked on the back wheels but on a Xantia, no thanks, I'll leave this idea for you.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

citronut wrote:
HDI wrote:I've always done this on a 2 post lift, so obviously both wheels are free, so you could use a trolley jack and lift the front of the car for convenience, instead of one at a time.
the reason its the other 7 times out of 10 is you are spinning both wheel up together,
the idea that i use with 99% success is im spinning one wheel at a time under controlled condition's,
whilst sitting in the car, not to much RPM and the other wheel firmly on the ground,
this way you will almost every time hear the noisy bearing,

regards malcolm
What I meant was the the one you think it is when driving the car. The faulty bearing is immediately obvious with both wheels driven on a lift or jacked up.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i personally don't find you can determine for sure with both front wheels off the ground and spinning,

regards malcolm
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

It is probably more easily identified in the air on a lift. Literally you can go to each side and the offending bearing just leaps out at you :wink:
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !