Clonk went the window.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Clonk went the window.

Post by MJM »

It looks like the clip has gone. I haven’t had much time to examine the problem properly (rain, hail, darkness etc) but I can see both ends of the cable, complete with nipples on them. The cables seem to be in good condition and attached to something and not broken so I’m assuming that the clip has decided to disintegrate.
A couple of pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
It’s a Mk 2 Xantia Exclusive, driver’s door.
Is there a diagram of the cable run/regulator mechanism anywhere? I can’t find one with a site search. I’ll have to rewind them but how and where information would be appreciated.
Is it easier to do with the mechanism off the car?
I’ve looked on Ebay and there are two different types of clip available, white ones and green ones. (They’re different shapes). The cable end nipples look like they fit the green ones so maybe one is series one cars and the other series 2.

TIA.

PS my internet at home is down at the moment so I'm "incommunicado" after 4:30 pm.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Clonk went the window.

Post by RichardW »

Mk1 and Mk2 use different mechs and clips as you surmise. Looking at ebay, I think the MK2 is te green clip, with the separate forked retaining part. I wouldn't buy one from ebay however - your local dealer will only relieve you of £1.07 for a new one, whilst £8 seems to be the going rate on ebay :evil:

As for the mech itself if it's not obvious how to rewind it, then I would look at the passenger door for guidance - almost certainly it will need to come out of the door. It's worth persevering, a new one from Citroen is a frankly astonishing £432.19 :shock:
Richard W
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

had mine go too last year going on holiday. Pistol shot and window slowly decended, even wedged in with wifes emery board! spent a week with it held up with a wire coathanger!! When I had tried the dealer, they would only supply the complete system so had to resort to ebay. If you do, use the co near heathrow, not the liverpool one (wouldnt fit). Similar names osk* ??? It is obvious how the wire goes on once you have the whole contraption out. Point of note, be careful with the glass as it has a plasic clip at the top which is very fragile (guess how I know?) sSimple to do, (and you might as well remove and lubricate the door mirror pivot and cables - assuming its not electric!) Good luck
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Yea the green clip is for the mkii, I didn't know you could get it from Citroen though =D>
I fitted one on series ii a week or so ago, took me about 1 hr to figure it all out, reckon I could do it in 20 mins now, it is quite simple. I used an eBay clip at £8, still a cheap fix really.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

One thing I do remember is that I had to reuse the original pin through the clip as the new supplied pin would not hold and kept popping out - made me very worried that the glass would shatter!! Only use the plastic thingy! As Lightly says, a simple job, once you've done it.
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Yes, I had to do that too, been about 9 months since I did it and all seems fine !
I had to work out the cable routing as they had jumped off and tangled. It looked an impossible job but I had it sussed inside an hour or so and all went back ok.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

Well, the new clip is on order from Ebay. The local dealer said that it was not available as a spare but a new regulator assembly was. (Parked next to a C6 in the car park lovely car). I've cleaned and lubricated the inner linkages etc ready for re-assembly when the part arrives. The internals of the door and the electrical connections are remarkably clean and corrosion free for a 13 year old car. I'm tempted to take some photos and do a short "how to" blurb if anyone is interested.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.