C3 sensodrive in 1st gear when starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

C3 sensodrive in 1st gear when starting

Post by charentejohn »

My wife's new C3 1.4 sensodrive (stop/start) had the following problem today, then again it may not be a problem.
When she went to start it it was in 1st gear, she said she couldn't turn the key. I arrived and suddenly she could turn the key and it went into neutral by itself.

My guess is she left it in 1st when she stopped it rather than moving to neutral, she says not but I think it is possible. It was the second time she had driven it and takes time to realise it is different to an auto.

Would not putting it in neutral when turning off the engine account for the car being in 1st like this. I told her to always make sure it is in neutral in future so hopefully this is all it was. It was showing 1st even though the ignition was off, the dash lights up when the door is opened.
Even if it was left in 1st gear I assume the key would turn anyway, probably just stiff because the steering lock was resting on it.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: C3 sensodrive in 1st gear when starting

Post by Citroenmad »

I think I remember our Peugeot 100000007 being like this, it will stay in 1st gear with the engine off as it allows you to park it in first (no park on the sensodrive) for steep hills. Nocking the lever to neutral with the ignition on should let it start.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks Chris I think you are right.
Still searching the owner's manual (in french) for confirmation but after a trip out today all is well.

The idea of leaving it 'in gear' when stopped, as you can with a normal manual, makes some sense so switching off when in 1st gear means it stays there is not unreasonable. Normally not needed if parking on the flat but different on hills.

We will make sure it is in neutral before switching off for the moment but I will keep looking for info on leaving it in gear as an option.
Once the igniton was on it did allow a move to neutral, but by then we were in panic mode so don't remember the sequence of events, if it happens again we will take notes. :)

So far so good as the car seems 100% ok, so an actual problem seems unlikely. When we have used it a bit I will do a post on how things are going. Sensodrive is just different that is all and needs a mental rethink to get used to it. For example the car can 'creep' forward like an auto if you just touch the accelerator but I think this is like riding the clutch and a more positive approach to moving off may be better. More later when we have had it a few months.
smokescreen
My Cars: C3 1.6 HDi VTR

Post by smokescreen »

If I recall correctly, if the car is parked in first gear, when you place your foot on the brake to start, as normal, the gearbox changes to neutral and the car starts. I remember I always left the car in first gear when parked and either followed the above procedure or knocked the gear lever to select neutral before starting.

Regards
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

You are right, the handbook says so (I think as my translation is not perfect) so it must be true.
It says that before stopping the engine choose. Neutral or 1st, 2nd or Reverse before stopping the engine, in this case you you can't move the car. But always use the handbrake.
Had trouble translating this one but it says - it is possible to select a gear for a short time after the engine has stopped.

Doesn't mention starting again so thanks for confirming that. Makes sense that it will always go to neutral when starting regardless of where it was.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I suppose the only concern with leaving it parked in gear might be if the battery goes or an electrical gearbox fault occurs its stuck in gear.

Yes you can get it to creep, but not with as much control as with a full auto or a manual. As the car seems to grasp the fact your on the clutch and cut out if you try to edge it. So the clutch is usually engaged or not, not a lot inbetween. As I understand it the sensodrive does have a conventional clutch, so getting creep will be like riding the clutch, though as I say, our Peugeot only allowed that for a few seconds before it cut the drive again.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I think what you describe is what is happening when slowly edging forward.
I would have said it felt like riding the clutch but I think it does cut drive (effectively pressing the clutch to disengage) if you try to move too slowly. If that happens and I press the accelerator a little more it keeps doing it, so it will move and stop quite quickly.
Even if this isn't actually riding the clutch it is still effectively putting it in and out of gear all the time which is not good.

We were just saying we should have a practice session to get used to it. In this case a positive press on the accelerator to move off rather than the tentative way we are doing it. We are just being a bit careful but maybe a more robust approach is needed when just moving off with no traffic of obstructions.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Creeping forward is indeed the same as riding the clutch. I do it every time I reverse my wife's C3 into the garage; reversimg into a restricted space with the clutch fully engaged (minimum speed probably about 7mph) doesn't seem a good idea. If it were a manual car I would slip the clutch as I edged in exactly as the sensodrive does. The reversing probaly takes about 30 seconds and the car does not disengage the drive during that process.
Sensodrive certainly needs a different approach, we found starting on a hill difficult until we twigged the answer is to hold the car with your left foot on the brake until the clutch bites.
The gear changes are leasurely but I like the paddle gearchange option - I tend to change manually into fifth at little over 30mph when in traffic (insted of the 40+ that Sensodrive chooses) and the economy it gives is remarkable.
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby