1999 Xsara 1.8i SX Cooling fan fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andye
My Cars:

1999 Xsara 1.8i SX Cooling fan fault

Post by Andye »

Hi folks, my wife's trusty Xsara has thrown me a curve ball. It keeps overheating when static and I have managed to work out that the left hand rad cooling fan doesn't ever seem to operate. I know the fan motor is good as I swapped the 2 of them around and still had the same problem. I have been working from a Haynes wiring diagram which is not quite correct for the car. It appears that the L/H & R/H Fan Series Supply Relay should have 12v on pin 3 but I never get this. The Haynes manual shows this as coming from fuse F3 in the Engine fuse box, however this may not be correct as it also shows fuse F5 in the same fuse box supplying the R/H Fan Relay pin 3 but there is no fuse in F5 on this car. It also showed the L/H & R/H Fan Series Supply Relay coil as being supplied from fuse F15 in the Passenger Cabin fuse box but this is in fact supplied by fuse F7 in the Engine fuse box.

With the ignition 'ON', if I short pin 1 on the Cooling Fan / AC Bitron ECU to ground, with the Bitron box removed, the L/H & R/H fans should run at I assume reduced speed as they are connected in series but I get nothing. If I then short pin 10 on the Bitron box to ground the R/H fan runs at a fair lick.

I really need to know where the 12v supply for pin 3 of the L/H & R/H Fan Series Supply Relay should be coming from so I can check the integrity of the wiring. I would also like to know where the 12v supply for the R/H Fan Relay pin 3 comes from too.

I have pulled every fuse I can find on the car and do not loose the 12v to pin 3 of the R/H Fan Relay at any point which almost implies it is permanently live from the battery.

I would greatly appreciate any help any of you kind folks can give me.

Regards, Andy
Current cars... C5 VTR HDi 2004, Xsara 1.8i 16v SX, Xsara 1.9D SX
Previous cars...Xantia 1.9 SX, BX TZD, BX 1.6, ZX 1.4, AX 1.1, GS Club
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: 1999 Xsara 1.8i SX Cooling fan fault

Post by Clogzz »

With a bit of luck, the wiring will be about the same as on the Xantia.
We have many topics about Xantia fans, and this is the best starting place:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=31403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Andye
My Cars:

Post by Andye »

Cheers for that Clogzz..... I had looked at my Xantia Wiring diagrams and also some BX ones that I have. Whilst they are all very similar I still can't find out where the positive supply should come from for the series supply relay, and this is what I appear to be missing. Short of just hanging a new wire in to provide this I am stumped at the moment but will spend Friday looking as I am off shift then so I might be able to fathom it out yet.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Pin 1 of the series relay is supplied by a 5A fuse in the engine room’s fuse box.
Pin 1 of the Bitron should have 12V coming back through the top right relay coil, even with the key out.
When you short pin 1 of the Bitron to earth, the top right relay must click, even when parked.
Pins 3 of the relays are fed from two 40A fuses, possibly attached to the inner guard.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Andye
My Cars:

Post by Andye »

Thanks Clogzz, I'll see if I can chase the wire back as there must be a break somewhere.