Xantia electrical problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CFO
My Cars:

Xantia electrical problems

Post by CFO »

Hi folks - we run two almost identical 1996 2litre petrol auto Xantias (one estate, one saloon), and the estate has suddenly developed a major electrical problem. I started it up, went to move the other off the drive, and when I came back a couple of minutes later, the engine had stopped and the engine management light was flashing (about as fast as a direction indicator), accompanied by loud clicking under the bonnet. I opened up the electronics box on the offside, and the big Bitron relay was clicking steadily. Thinking (hoping?) that might be the problem, I substituted the one from the saloon, but the problem remains - so it's not the Bitron. With my head under the bonnet, I can hear more relay activity from the box on the other side (behind the battery) and sure enough, the small outer forward relay is clicking in sympathy with the Bitron. There are other oddities. The key pad is showing both green and red lights together, and when I switch off the ignition and remove the key, standing puzzled looking at the beast, the Bitron starts clicking every minute or so, continues for about 10 seconds and then stops - then repeats. I have temporarily disconnected the battery to stop this. So far, we have changed the big earth strap on to the top of the gear box, but no joy there either. My Haynes manual doesn't have enough info to try to sort out what's going on, so I would be grateful for any suggestions as to where to look next. It's otherwise a superbly comfortable car, and I really want to keep it going as long as poss (107k miles at present).

And as a corollary, I am having difficulty searching the archive on this forum. When I put in terms like Xantia+electrical+faults, the response tells me that the search terms are too general, so I am faced with nearly 500 pages of posts to trawl through. Is there a quicker way?
CFO
Previous Cits - BX, XM, currently running two '96 Xantia automatics
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia electrical problems

Post by citroenxm »

The Bitron Box Clicking is the relay for the main beam, and that the headlights should be flashing with it.

The sounder should also be sounding, but half the time they dont work. or switched off.

Sounds like the immobilser has kicked in, as the keypad has lost contact with the ECU hence the two lights on.

There could be a loose connection behind the fuse box. I found this by mistake once. I had the ignition on, went to pull the fuse box out and the car came back to life. I later found a dodgy connection behind the fuse box.

To move - but not remove - the fuse box, pull the red tab down then slide the fuse box towards the front of the dash (upwards as it sits) and then move downwards, and see if theres any dodgy connections behind there.

Ive come across a few Xantias now where a break also in a wire that feeds the fuse box has occured. Resulting in a number if items on the same feed not working.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Harry1975

Post by Harry1975 »

i also have electric problems they are a nightmare, ive changed the earths rewired my starter motor, ive got a direct feed to my heater, as could find a reason for it not working so by passed it all. my starter motor has a mind of its own, one min it works, the next its like the battery is flat, ive renewed wiring still does it, changed starter and still the same, so i carry a spare battery, so when it does'nt want to work i jump lead spare battery and she starts !!! Bloody cars !
CFO
My Cars:

Post by CFO »

There was an interesting article in the Citroen mag a little while ago about the crimps relaxing on the battery terminals. Apparently the best way to test for this is to start up the car, then switch on everything electrical and feel the terminal crimps (carefully!) Mine were getting quite hot, so I recrimped them and that seems to have improved things, although the starter on my estate is rather lazy compared with that on the saloon. HTH.
CFO
Previous Cits - BX, XM, currently running two '96 Xantia automatics
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

see my seperate topic entitled "Check your battery Positive Lead with pics" and see what exactley happens to them and how hot they actually get
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

As for searching this site... go to Google and type in "site:frenchcarforum.co.uk " and then your search. It seems to work better than the search on this site.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream