Xantia Exclusive worth & GS thoughts :)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaExclusiveHDI
My Cars: Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon - I can't seem to let her go!

Xantia Exclusive worth & GS thoughts :)

Post by XantiaExclusiveHDI »

I've been thinking recently 8-[

My Xantia has been off road for nearly a year now (it's SORN'd) through my own choice. I rarely need use of a car since I moved to my current house - and cycle most places. On the rare occassion I do need a car - I borrow the old mans who is 100yds down the road :mrgreen:

I've been thinking of late that I might in fact better suit a classic car. One that I would only use very infrequently. Whilst I love my Xantia Exclusive - I also love the earlier hydro' cars. I therefore wondered what people may think my car might fetch? I really have no idea. It's a year 2000 Exclusive HDI 110 that has covered 55.5K. It's in the condition you would expect of a car that has done that mileage. Four nearly new Vredestein Sportrac 3s and all spheres replaced by Westroen 20k ago. Quartz 9000 all of its life. I have all the previous records / MOT's. I took it off road just prior to the MOT which was due last year - there was a note that my nearside P bush may need attention. I am shortly replacing both suspension arms with OEM - and I'll pop in new Lemfoerder droplinks too. What is its worth would you say? I know it's what someone is willing to pay for it - but I really have no idea - so a ballpark would be handy... :?:

I would like a smaller car - and only have eyes for a hydro' - so I really love the idea of a GS Pallas :luv:

My guess is these are VERY thin on the ground now. What sort of price would a good rust free / restored example fetch?

Also what would be the situation for classic car insurance if it were my only car - or if I were a named driver on another policy (Dads car)? I've never had classic car insurance so I've no idea how it works. I would be doing less than 1k a year.

Is it also pre '72 cars that are road tax exempt?

So many thoughts...!
Currently:
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon (73k)
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Xantia Exclusive worth & GS thoughts :)

Post by Citroenmad »

Your Xantia must be worth £2000 easily, perhaps more, it just depends who will pay what. There will not be many/any with such low mileage and in such fresh condition.

A classic car might suit with your limited use, classic car insurance is cheap and tax is £0 if before 1972. Your problem might be finding a nice GS.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

BX is also nice and small, and more readily available.

This is nice and great value for money. http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C301350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Classic car insurance is normally obtained if you have another car that you use as your main. Thats how my classic policy works at least.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

That is a very nice, original and tidy BX, I really like that. I quite like BXs at the moment anyway 8-)

I did like our TZD estate, my parents had a good few BXs when I was growing up, usually two at a time. They preferred the BXs to the Xantias.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:Your Xantia must be worth £2000 easily, perhaps more, it just depends who will pay what..
Looking at the market, I'd say £1500 tops, maybe less. That utterly mint Red Estate HDi didn't go for anything like what people said it was worth...
XantiaExclusiveHDI

Thanks guys!

Was the Estate an Exclusive - what did it fetch and what mileage had it done (link?). I would be interested to see.

I had a BX TZD Turbo before my Xantia - and whilst I like the BX's - I kinda prefer the idea of an earlier car. Any thoughts anyone on general availability / prices for a nice GS / GS Pallas?

Thanks again :)
Currently:
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

XantiaExclusiveHDI wrote:Any thoughts anyone on general availability for a nice GS / GS Pallas?
About as long as you'll wait for this thing to have a poo :lol:

13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

I'd keep the Xantia myself , it sounds like a very well cared for example and i'm sure will find a home in the future if needed. I'm sure you will regret letting it go .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

I agree with Mark. Get another car to play about with by all means, but keep the Xantia if you can afford to and have space. Although if you really want a mint GS/GSA you should keep the Xantia as a winter car to keep the rot out of the GS/A.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
XantiaExclusiveHDI

I only really have room for one car... I would only use the car during the Summer & borrow the old mans during the Winter or wet weather :wink:

I've been looking around for GS's on tinternet. There are a few kicking around...

I can see the point of keeping my Xantia - for sure it's a rarity given the mileage & condition. That said my heart is definitely in the earlier cars - and given my driving demands (or lack of) - it seems the right time for me to make the move.

I guess I'm in no rush - so I'll have the time to wait for something suitable to (hopefully) arrive.
Currently:
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Pretty sure that there will be a very rare 1983 GSA X1 coming onto the market in the not too distant future - finished in Rouge Vallelunga, it's covered just 23,000 Miles from new, has had 1 owner, and has never had any rust anywhere...

As for Xantia-worth, sounds like £1995 to me. This one here was that price and done 106K.

I agree with Robert, a nice BX could tide you over until you find a GS/GSA.
Franklin
XantiaExclusiveHDI

I just tried running a GS & GSA (much prefer a GS :luv: ) through moneysupermarket as a sole car - with differing car worth - 2k annual miles - £200 overall excess - and have been very pleasantly surprised by the results!

All vary between £99 - £137 fully comp - that's at best £200 cheaper than my Xantia :shock:

Cheapest policies came from Lancaster & Fluxdirect. I had in my mind it would be an expensive insure if it were my only car - so I'm very surprised by this. That was with no alarm / immobiliser - parked on drive (it won't be) and no use of another car (I will have) - to get a worst case scenario.

That and a reduced road tax (£135 as opposed to my current £220) - it's looking even more favourable...
Currently:
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If you're looking at before 1972 you'd only find a 1015cc model as the 1220cc didn't come out until late 1972.

I owned an 1129cc G Special (my first car!) and have driven the 1220 GS and 1299 GSA a lot as well, and I would not suggest getting a 1015. The 1129 was very gutless, let alone a 1015 - it revved well but it just had no low down torque and felt very flat overall. Just too small an engine for the size of car.

The 1220cc on the other hand was a nice sweet spot, I don't know what they did to it but the low down torque was surprisingly good for such a small engine, a totally different experience than driving a 1129, despite only having supposedly 5 more bhp. (60 instead of 55) The one my Dad had would happily chug up a steep hill at 30mph in 4th gear doing only about 2000 rpm and maintain it with a modest throttle, the same hill where my 1129 would immediately die and need changing down to 3rd.

It was a good revver too - it would have to be given that it was only a 4 speed and was doing 3800 rpm at only 60mph. :lol: I seem to remember that poor thing approaching 100mph on a number of occasions, which is somewhat over the 6250 redline on the 4 speed :lol: (claimed top speed of the 1220 was about 90mph)

The 1299cc GSA was quite noticeably quicker than the 1220, with more power across the board, but its not as refined an engine, its a bit rougher and raspier, I believe partly because of the camshaft timing which is a lot more aggressive than the 1220. The one that I used to drive didn't rev nearly as smoothly as the 1129 or 1220, but it may have just been a poor example.

You won't win any races in a GS but the 1220 in particular is a very charming and "colourful" engine with a lot of character to it and fun to drive. I'm not sure if I would want one nowadays as a daily driver (ignoring all the problems of rust and maintenance of such an old car) especially in a cold country like this, due to the lack of temperature regulation with the air cooling system...(in very cold weather you need to put a muff on the front of the grill to reduce the cooling or the engine will never warm up :lol: )

I'd love to drive one again though for old times sake. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive