Nearly lost my C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Nearly lost my C5

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Was asked to pop a friends grandson to the station, when I got to their house she said "have a cup of tea it's bit early to go yet". A quick cuppa and out the door in time to see the car wandering off on its own 50 metres down the road. :shock:

Hanbrake cable caliper lever had stuck and must have let the brake off a bit.

A good job it was only a slight gradient not a steep hill.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Northern_Mike

Re: Nearly lost my C5

Post by Northern_Mike »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Was asked to pop a friends grandson to the station, when I got to their house she said "have a cup of tea it's bit early to go yet". A quick cuppa and out the door in time to see the car wandering off on its own 50 metres down the road. :shock:

Does the C5 have the handbrake on the front wheels? I have no idea.

Anyway, the experience of disappearing Citroens is certainly not a new one for many who own Citroens with front-wheel handbrakes. I've I've had XMs and Xantias disappear on me before now. I'm *told* that if you drive quite hard, then put the handbrake on, things slacken off when it all goes cold.. whether this is true or not, I don't know. It has certainly happened to me though!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Can happen with any car that uses the caliper to form the handbrake. I have seen it with inboard separate handbrake shoes too but only once.

Hot brakes from general driving are 'fractionally' larger than cold brakes (due to normal heat build up from use = metal expansion nothing more)

Park up, apply handbrake. Over a short time the metal contracts a tiny tiny fraction = pads contract a tiny fraction = not really doing a great deal = car rolls away

Does not seem that common though these days, perhaps they have improved something. The above is just my understanding of it rather than gospel ;)

Always best to leave in Park / 2nd (as appropriate depending on if you prefer two or three pedal motoring) though in my personal opinion too.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Featch
My Cars:

Post by Featch »

Had similar trouble with a Peugeot 807 Unfortunately it was parked at the top of a 70ft drop :( I'd been driving "enthusiastically", the brakes cooled down and an hour and a half later it was a long walk home!
Citroenless at the moment. CX or GS that is my dilemma!
2011 Volvo V70 D3
85 Mercedes 805d Campervan (Betsy))
spider

Post by spider »

Featch wrote:Had similar trouble with a Peugeot 807 Unfortunately it was parked at the top of a 70ft drop :( I'd been driving "enthusiastically", the brakes cooled down and an hour and a half later it was a long walk home!
:o
Andy.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:cry:
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Activa_Mike wrote:
Gibbo2286 wrote:Was asked to pop a friends grandson to the station, when I got to their house she said "have a cup of tea it's bit early to go yet". A quick cuppa and out the door in time to see the car wandering off on its own 50 metres down the road. :shock:

Does the C5 have the handbrake on the front wheels? I have no idea.

Anyway, the experience of disappearing Citroëns is certainly not a new one for many who own Citroëns with front-wheel handbrakes. I've I've had XMs and Xantias disappear on me before now. I'm *told* that if you drive quite hard, then put the handbrake on, things slacken off when it all goes cold.. whether this is true or not, I don't know. It has certainly happened to me though!
Had it once before years ago on a CX, stopped for a drink at a country pub, some guy came in and said "There's a car rolling down the car park without a driver." dashed out to find the CX hanging in a chain link fence over a drop into the next field.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

spider wrote:Can happen with any car that uses the caliper to form the handbrake. I have seen it with inboard separate handbrake shoes too but only once.

Hot brakes from general driving are 'fractionally' larger than cold brakes (due to normal heat build up from use = metal expansion nothing more)

Park up, apply handbrake. Over a short time the metal contracts a tiny tiny fraction = pads contract a tiny fraction = not really doing a great deal = car rolls away

Does not seem that common though these days, perhaps they have improved something. The above is just my understanding of it rather than gospel ;)

Always best to leave in Park / 2nd (as appropriate depending on if you prefer two or three pedal motoring) though in my personal opinion too.
I don't think it's too good an idea to leave cars in gear, the yard manager at one of the car auctions I used to attend was crippled for life when a customer started an engine in the row of for sale cars while he was standing between them. E.
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

Happened to me in October a couple of hours after parking up at the maternity hospital in Paisley. I had my work phone number on the side of the car at the time and I got a phone call "your handbrake's failed mate, your motor has went into the back of a Punto."

Luckily the other car had no damage!
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spider

Post by spider »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I don't think it's too good an idea to leave cars in gear, the yard manager at one of the car auctions I used to attend was crippled for life when a customer started an engine in the row of for sale cars while he was standing between them. E.
Not good :( although the 'customer' should really of checked to be fair.

I'll admit I've done it too, started an (old) beetle and it fired and ran.

Perhaps Hyundia had the right idea with that switch on the clutch pedal, ie: regardless unless you have your foot on the clutch the starter does not operate.
Andy.

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I ALWAYS have my foot on the clutch to start a car! NEVER start without unless im working on a car and stopping and starting all the time....

ALL hydraulic Citroens that go up on the hydraulics HAVE to have the handbrake on the front... This is obvious when you watch a car rise up.. As The trailing arm suspension lowers to lift the car, the wheel has to move forward as the "Theretical" length is shortening...

As the strut is above directly the front wheels they dont need to turn, TRY HOLDING your foot on the brake and lifting the car up on the hydraulics, you'll soon find out why the brake is on the front!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hah! Hydraulics are disengaged on the C5 while the brake pedal is pressed :)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Its FUN on XMs and Xantias.. As the rear suspension is plummed through the brake valve, while pump brake pedal HOLDS the rear, the pump continues to pump, then brake "creak" starts as pressure builds, then it continues, then when you release the pedal the rear end will SHOOT UP!

With ultra soft spheres its Great Fun!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

So that's why they all have dents in the tailgates! I have always left my cars in gear.

Peter
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Citroenxm nice to know I am not the only one that starts their car with clutch down.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.