c5 ashtray won't close

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5Alan
My Cars:

c5 ashtray won't close

Post by C5Alan »

Anyone know how to sort my ash tray it won't stay closed its the front one that you push in a bit to open it pushes in and opens ok but just won't stay closed some times it will some times it won't well mostly wont
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
merlin22red

Re: c5 ashtray won't close

Post by merlin22red »

Being a non smoker of many years, (still could murder a fag some times) I super glued mine shut :lol:
C5Alan wrote:Anyone know how to sort my ash tray it won't stay closed its the front one that you push in a bit to open it pushes in and opens ok but just won't stay closed some times it will some times it won't well mostly wont
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

I don't smoke and neither did my dad as the orig owner so it hasn't had much use but its handy to stash stuff in especially pennies for the petrol station
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

Richard Stevens
My Cars:

Post by Richard Stevens »

Had the same problem first time I took the ashtray out, as the good book says "pull it straight out".
There is a little plastic bit that has come adrift on the right side of the ashtray housing as you look at it . It will almost certainly have fallen down into the recess below.
The solution is to partially remove the front console, which will include the trim section that runs across the top (as far as the glove box), probably including the radio and the aircon control panel - anyway, enough for you to retrieve the plastic piece from below it.
The plastic piece simply slots into the sidewall of the ashtray housing and runs in a slot on the ashtray to operate the lock/unlock arrangement.
Only tool required is a torx bit which, for the radio, will have to be small diameter to reach in for the screws.
Good luck
ps Haynes manual 4745, Chapter 11, Section 25 refers.
1995 ZX Turbo diesel Volcane
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
2006 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive
Remember - many warnings are spurious or bad connections
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

I haven't got the haynes manual just yet but is on the shopping list

You don't happen to have a pic of the bit sounds like it might be easier to aquire one from a breakers yard ??

Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

I've got the same problem. Takes a lot of tries, holding it shut and nudging it to the right will eventually let it stay shut.
I can feel the plastic piece inside the centre console. Is it supposed to be spring loaded? Mine moves back and forth freely. I've got a sneaky suspicion that it is shorter than it should be too as like I said, I need to nudge the ashtray closer to it to get it to shut.
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hdi_man
My Cars:

Post by hdi_man »

the ashtray will be the LEAST of your worries....lol....welcome to Citroen ownership... :?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe you need to empty it :shock: :lol: :wink:

click link below

http://steveshark.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/tn.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seriously though maybe some pennies have got down behind it,

can you remove the complete unit including the carrier you can on some proper :-D :wink: citroens,

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:vomit1:
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

I've had it out and in to see if that would help no such luck :(

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I fixed mine with a bit of double sided sticky tape.

Peter
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

Post by Richard Stevens »

'Scuse the delay, been away for the week!
If you look at the right hand side of your ashtray you'll see a moulded track with a tiny triangle of plastic dividing it into upper and lower tracks.
This is the guide for the sliding plastic bit which lives in the ashtray recess. This piece simply runs in the track and either engages with the front side of the little triangle or not, alternately.
The curved spring that remains in place with the ashtray removed should sit against the back of the ashtray when you install it, giving the force for opening.
It's simply a matter of getting the plastic bit back in so that it rotates up and down in its quadrant (you must fit it from the blind (right) side), and engages with the ashtray track when you offer it up.
Just been out to the car to check this.

Like the other comments, especially concerning the size of C5 problems! If this is all you get you'll be the lucky one!! - I'm still getting "Anti-pollution system faulty" and it's driving me mad....

Rich
1995 ZX Turbo diesel Volcane
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
2006 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive
Remember - many warnings are spurious or bad connections
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

I've managed to get it to work with the push it to the right and it catches most of the time so happy with that for now its only a small problem in the long list but its more anoying than some.

Cheers for all the help