General brake servicing C5 front calipers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jeff
My Cars:

General brake servicing C5 front calipers

Post by Jeff »

I took off the calipers and checked the pistons as they were slow releasing on the o/side which had a worn away dust boot and the n/side, renewed over a year ago, the seal was perfect and piston returning okay.

I lubricated the o/side with a little flush out using brake fluid and it is now returning into the caliper but the n/side one which was working okay (I thought while i was at it I would lubricate it as well), when I finished it was seizing on so i had to dismantle and rewind the piston clockwise, then slightly back out and its working better but still slow to release.... regret touching it now.. The car is driveable but when I get a chance I will redo the job but need a bit of advice please?

Which is the best product for cleaning/lubricating caliper pistons, i.e. silicone spray, oil lubricants etc
How can you clean a piston when the dust cover is in place?
How many times would you keep working the piston in and out to release it fully?
When rewinding / working pistons must you have the brake fluid reservoir top off &/or bleed fluid direct from the caliper
When bolting the n/side caliper back on the lower bolt was hardly pulling into the guide pin as internal thread worn, will this affect caliper operation? If so, do I need a new brake pad carriage?

All advice and tips gratefully received?

Thanks Jeff
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
citronut
My Cars:

Re: General brake servicing C5 front calipers

Post by citronut »

i belive you should not wind the pistons backwards in calipers with the hand brake mechanism built in,

i use duck oil to lub caliper pistons inside the dust covers,

and the mounting bolt's.pin's are usually caliper slides these must move in and out freely otherwise the caliper will bind/drag,

regards malcolm