C5 window regulator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hdi_man
My Cars:

C5 window regulator

Post by hdi_man »

My C5 (2009) drivers side window is broken. I heard a loud crack and the window fell into the door....it then went back up and no won't go down. I can hear the motor running though
hdi_man
My Cars:

Re: C5 window regulator

Post by hdi_man »

well called my local garage. the regulator comes WITH the motor and cannot be bought separately ! £200 for the part plus fitting so £300 in total.

it loo0ks to me as if the plastic clip has snapped and I am shocked this cannot be purchased on its own. the motor is still working !
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

They're listed as two separate items in the catalogue so I'd guess your garage is wrong.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

Have a look on ebay using "C5 window regulator clip" as the search criteria. There are several different suppliers.

I too was quoted an extortionate price by the local main stealer for the same failed clip on my Xantia. I sourced a replacement plastic clip from Turkey for £7 inc p+p.

Happy spannering,

Ted
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (118,000miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I got a complete assembly from ebay for about £25.00, the plastic peg from the window was missing on mine, couldn't find it anywhere but half inch blue water pipe insert cut down fits perfectly.

Peter
hdi_man
My Cars:

Post by hdi_man »

looks like I'm out of luck just now...

C5 mk3 uses differnet clips from the older models. only one on ebay is for front left and he has none available for front right..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C5-WI ... 176wt_1202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

called dealers to see if they can sell the clips separately...
hdi_man
My Cars:

Post by hdi_man »

Citroen are a DISGRACE.

called 3 dealers. for the C5 2008 onwards the clips CANNOT be bought separately and you need to buy a whole new regulator and motor assembly for £225.

the dealer told me they are fitting 2/4 a month , almost 1 a week.

really poorly build cars :evil:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There was a thread the other day about C5 (III) door trim removal, and Lighty said he'd done a few - all beacause of window mech failure: C5 Window thread (I see you've already posted...!).

According to service.citroen the motor is available separately, but the mech is only availble WITH the motor - £215 inc....

The reg is joined to the window with a bolt going into a clip of some sort. You will need to strip the door panel to see what has failed before committing to buying any parts - unless Lighty can shed some light on it and say which bit always breaks?

Seems like a design flaw.... Interestingly the original part has been superceeded - but by a part no beginning 96 - which suggests it is an old part, but service.citoen didn't turn up any matches against older cars. There was a different part between RP 11865 - 12774 then they went back to the original part. The middle part was weak? No difference in window, so it might be possible to retrofit the early / late part to mid age cars.....
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I assume this is different to the earlier ones then, the plastic clip was missing on one of mine and I used a length of 25mm blue water pipe insert which fits nicely, only took about half an hour including removing and refitting the panel.

Peter
mobilemule

Post by mobilemule »

Interesting and to some extent comforting to read the response of other C5 owners to this annoying and expensive fault which is costing owners like myself and others a lot of money each time the regulator fails. Thinking that maybe I could do this job myself I have recently obtained an electronic workshop manual which shows what is involved in replacing this part. Just talking the door panel off looks incredibly complicated. So I don't think I will bother. Its a pity as I still think the C5 is a great car.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

On mine I found that the regulator had not actually failed, after I had bought one :x it was just the plastic fitting that links the regulator to the glass, I don't know what it looks like because I couldn't find it, but it must be inside the door somewhere as it had not been apart before. I found a suitable piece of plastic tube to replace it so the job didn't actually cost me anything - apart from the regulator and that was only £25.00 on ebay.

Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yes, but yours is a MK1 Peter, and these guys are talking about a MK3 (2008 on) car. On the Mk1 the clip to the window is part of the regulator, but this is available without the motor for a half reasonable £70. On the MK3 the attachment to the window is made with bolts, but the regulator is not available without the motor, and costs £200+. Clearly there's a design flaw in the regultator somewhere making it weak, whether it can be repaired by a home enthusiast remains to be seen - need to see some pictures of a failed one to assess what the failure is, and see if a repair could be affected.
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah right, I thought they might possibly be, I would have thought something could have been made up - but then of course I haven't seen one.

Peter
hdi_man
My Cars:

Post by hdi_man »

just had a quick look at mine, can't even see how to get the inside door panel off ! any ideas ?
mobilemule

Post by mobilemule »

Hello hdi_man,
I had a look at how to remove the inside panel in my new emanual (see my posting on this) and it look very complicated possible due to the many press stud type fixings that have to be released. I decide i would not like to tackle it. I could try send you the the instructions if that would help.