Car maintenance questions on new UK driving test..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Car maintenance questions on new UK driving test..

Post by nick »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3197645.stm
Does anyone else think they are far too easy [;)]
I think it should be something along the lines of;
“A 15 year old Citroen BX has the following symptoms;
Regular ticking noise from under bonnet, a very bouncy ride, and intermittently light/heavy steering during the months October-March, and a brake pad wear warning light that only comes on when its raining.
In 10000 words or less (with illustrations), describe in detail the actions you would take to remedy each of these faults.”
I think this would help the government to meet its targets for getting more people in the UK to give up driving [:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Nick -
Be fair [:)]
The average car owner won't have a clue [:p]
People on this forum belongs to a very rare specie :
They care about their cars - and do most service/repairs as DIY.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

..and it wouldn't stop those who wish to terrorise the streets without a driving licence anyway [:0] as highlighted earlier in the day with drink-driver who killed his partner and child [:(!]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I heard they had to show how to check oil, water and brake fluid levels.
I was going to take a GS along.[:o)]
I think it's a nice idea but with the oily bits of cars differing so much I think it could lead to even more confusion.
Much better somebody not knowing where the oil goes than putting water in the oil filler. As a workmate almost did with his Pug. Luckily he asked (me) for advice first.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

When I first read it I immediately thought about a GS, for some reason!
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

i knew of a girl (not to be sexist) whom asked my why her car sounded so bad, after a couple of normal questions, eg have you checked the oil? etc.. it came to the question, have you checked the water level?[:I], her reply was i didnt know that the car needed water to run!!.
so after showing her how to check the water level etc.., to which we found out that the car was running on empty. so a nice refill was needed & then off she went. & to my knowledge the car is still driving around.
dom
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

They aren't difficult questions, and nearly all of the checks could be done from the dashboard on most modern big cars!
If it teaches women how to do their own checks without pestering their boyfriend/husband to do it then its all to the good in my opinion.
As an aside, my Dad recently gave his 93 Nissan Primera to my Grandad. He rang him up a couple of weeks later and said despite filling the screenwash up there was none coming out, and could my Dad have a look at it for him. Anyway I was calling that evening so he asked me to have a look, I opened the bonnet and noticed the previously fresh bright blue coolant in the expansion tank had gone a murky green colour. At first I thought the headgasket must have gone, but on removing the cap I the pungent smell of Holts Professional Screenwash hit me (it absolutely stinks!) and I'd realised what he'd done!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Friend of my wife'sbuys herself a small sporty coupe from a major manufacturer which she can't afford. Has colossal finance on it and can't afford servicing. About a year later it siezes up. Apparently it never occurred to her to add oil and water, and she struggles to pay £1000 odd bill for repair. Much to my surprise from the above it seems she is not alone!
Yet we all want to buy cars with one lady owner - can someone tell me why?
Personally if I'm buying a car I like to buy them dirty so I can see what has been bodged for sale! Also never really bothered by service history as experience suggests books are often stamped without work being done, parts claimed by dealers on newish cars in warranty for older PX's out of warranty and many important jobs fall outside service schedules anyway.
jeremy
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Personally if I'm buying a car I like to buy them dirty so I can see what has been bodged for sale! Also never really bothered by service history as experience suggests books are often stamped without work being done, parts claimed by dealers on newish cars in warranty for older PX's out of warranty and many important jobs fall outside service schedules anyway.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font size="2">Hear Hear!. Can't disagree with this at all and echoes my note alan's question on whether we should garage service or DIY</font id="size2">
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

If it teaches women how to do their own checks without pestering their boyfriend/husband to do it then its all to the good in my opinion.
Oi!! Watch the sexism there, some of us know more about cars than some of the blokes they know. Don't assume this is a 100% male forum.
Love and girly kisses, [:X] xxx