Citroen C5 2001 2ltr HDI - Error 3rd Piston - please help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sarex25
New User

Citroen C5 2001 2ltr HDI - Error 3rd Piston - please help!

Post by sarex25 »

The car has been experiencing problems when starting from cold for about a month or so, it is very lumpy on tickover and occasionally stalls. When you press the accelorator pedal sometimes there is no response whatsoever. We have taken it to our local garage who have plugged it in to the diagnostic and it is showing an error on the 3rd piston. This apparently comes up as something to do with the fuel pump, but after checking out the fuel pump there appears to be nothing wrong with it. Before the car started to have this problem, it never seemed to have a great deal of power, especially up hill where I had to change down the gears and it seemed to not let me push the revs up any further than around 3000. Are there any experts out there who might be able to help me as the garage are out of ideas and I really need to get the car sorted asap - but don't have much funds to pay a massive garage bill.

Hope someone can help me out on this one! Thanks :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Citroën C5 2001 2ltr HDI - Error 3rd Piston - please hel

Post by myglaren »

I'm sure you will receive plenty of helpful advice sooner or later.
My first thought is that it is the fuel rail pressure sensor if the pump checks out but what sort of diagnostic machine did the garage use?
many code readers are somewhat foxed by Citroens and to be sure of an accurate diagnostic you should really use a Lexia.

Quite a few of our membership own Lexia clones and have offered to run diagnostics and fault code resetting for other members for a small consideration.

This thread has a list of members currently offering this service, along with a map showing their approximate location.
It may be worth your while contacting one near to you and discuss having your car analysed (Citroens are a bit nuts after all :) ).

You will at least get a cleared indication of where the fault may lie and a point to start working from.
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Citroën C5 2001 2ltr HDI - Error 3rd Piston - please hel

Post by Lighty »

The third piston is in the high pressure pump, and is activated when cranking to help the pump produce enough pressure for the injectors to work at a relatively low cranking speed.
Once the engine is running, the piston deactivates (or should)
Sounds like you may need an exchange High Pressure fuel pump.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami