C5 Anti-pollution system fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Stevens
My Cars:

C5 Anti-pollution system fault

Post by Richard Stevens »

Hi Citroen Gurus,

My 1.6 HDI C5 has been fine, more or less, now on 66000 miles. I've just had two instances of "Anti-pollution system faulty" warning on the central display, accompanied by a beep. The first was about 10 days and 1000 miles ago. After a few minutes with the engine off the fault did not reappear. When I got home I got a local garage to check the fault log.
The following were found and removed:
1) P1351 - pre-heating relay circuit relay stuck in open position,
2) P0420 - exhaust differential pressure sensor signal particle filter overload, and
3) P0088 - fuel high pressure regulator pump, regulation electrovalve open more than setting.

Having never had occasion to check the fault log before, I can't say how long any of the codes may have been in there, but I have not (in 3 years' ownership) had any other warnings.

The second time was today and as before, car was left for 10 minutes and restarted with no warning since. I shall go and get the fault log checked again tomorrow, which should be helpful. Can't think the P1351 fault is relevant, but with the mileage where it is I am starting to think about Eolys fluid and particle filter. The car also has the acceleration hesitation problem mentioned by other owners, but I've lived with it.

I've trawled loads of the topics, but can't find anything that quite fits this problem.
Also if DavetheRave of Norwich is reading this, perhaps you and your Lexia might be willing to help? (I'm also in Norfolk).

As always, your brains are better than the Eggheads, I know! Your input would be great.
Thanks, R
1995 ZX Turbo diesel Volcane
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
2006 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive
Remember - many warnings are spurious or bad connections
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: C5 Anti-pollution system fault

Post by Lighty »

The fuel pressure fault can often be fixed by changing the fuel filter, which I suggest you do straight away !, if it doesnt, the diesel pump will need to be changed , as you cant buy the pressure reg seperately, and its a HUGE job too undertake.
For the other problem you need to check the actual dpf pressures on Lexia , and rectify by changing a faulty pressure sensor, or cleaning out the dpf.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

why has this thread been triplicated?????, a cyberspace glitch maybe :shock: :wink:

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Slow connection problems probably Malcolm.
The extraneous pair have been removed.
alden
My Cars:

Post by alden »

The same fault showed on c8 2lt hdi amonth later egr valve blew apart. not sayin it is this but maybe worth a look.
BX 19 TRS
C5 SX EST 2.2
C8 2.0 SX
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

Thanks for reaction and info - I've changed the fuel filter, though it still had many thousands of miles of supposed life. It seems filters are clogging more quickly, mainly due to the addition of biodiesel in standard diesel fuel. Avoiding supermarket fuels was suggested, which I've heard before.
Anyway, started the engine after the filter change and the warning came straight back (yesterday). I am still not convinced there is a 'real' fault here, but not having test gear is a pain, like being in the middle of Norfolk!
The joys of C5 ownership!
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

Update: further reading of codes and cancelling has sorted the problem!
I made a basic error, by not disconnecting the battery when I changed the filter - so as I had to disconnect the MAF sensor, a fault was logged and this is what was presented on start-up.

Anyway, all's well now, so thanks Lighty et al, fuel filter frequency will now be about 15000.
Good motoring.....
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

I should have known better!
After several days of warning-free motoring the same fault appeared. Accelerating on a roundabout, on came the beep and the warning. Had only gone about 5 miles, hardly warmed up. Yesterday warning on again as soon as I started the engine. Today started up, no warning.
I am not convinced there is anything 'real' at fault here, but now I shall check the upstream and downstream DPF pressure sensors and electrical connector (my favourite for eventual solution), followed by DPF cleaning.
Any other suggestions welcome.... I think the car is taking the p...!
The joys of Citroening
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
spauladrian
New User

Post by spauladrian »

Hello Richard Stevens!

After 2 years, how did this episode end? Did you end up finding the culprit or did you learn to live with it?

Thanks!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Lighty wrote:The fuel pressure fault can often be fixed by changing the fuel filter, which I suggest you do straight away !, if it doesnt, the diesel pump will need to be changed , as you cant buy the pressure reg seperately, and its a HUGE job too undertake.
For the other problem you need to check the actual dpf pressures on Lexia , and rectify by changing a faulty pressure sensor, or cleaning out the dpf.
Why do you think it cant be changed Lighty? Its screwed into the top of the Pump, just like the Bosch ones are screwed into the end of the pump, its quite possible to swap them. I have on a couple now..

My first reaction was to change the fuel filter. Id not worry about the heater plug issues, as I think most 1.6s dont use them and as they start without them most owners dont know untill other issues arise.

Have you got a DPF on the exhaust? You can tell by the smaller diamiter pipes along side the catalyst on the front of the engine.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

What I meant to say was that they cannot easily be purchased, as Citroen often do not sell the part individually.
I have swapped them for used ones occasionally.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
dowen

Post by dowen »

My DPF light has been on for the last 23000 miles, (C5 2ltr 2006)car runs great! I was thinking of having it removed, but as it runs so well! Milage is now 75000.
Dave.
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

After a couple of years I can tell the sad story......

I removed and cleaned the EGR valve, which was filthy.
I removed the DPF a couple of times for pressure wash cleaning (including overnight soaking)
and decreased its 'blockage' (as shown by a garage reading) from about 60% to 15%.

Travelling in France about 3 months later, just approaching Christmas, I found that the engine didn't
want to run - very cold morning. However once underway it then seemed fine. Later on the same (130m)
run I noticed that it seemed to struggle to hold the selected cruise speed going uphill.
When I got to my destination the engine was difficult to restart, and was accompanied by a brief clatter.

I got the car transported to a Citroen garage, where they listened to the starting. Left the car with them and
returned the next day, to be told that they were going to change a fuel pressure sensor.
As I was in France and supposedly in the hands of experts, I let them proceed, though it seemd strange.
When I returned the next day, they had done this but told me the problem was the fuel pump & regulator
(which are supplied as one in France as routine). - Sharp intake of breath when they showed me their
estimate.
5 days later I picked up the car again, paid the huge bill and set off. Car seemed fine.
After 300 miles the engine began making what I recognised as big-end noises and gave up the ghost 8
miles short of Coquelles (for the tunnel).
I should have stopped I know, but I was trying to coax it into the tunnel so I could get help on the GB side.

Got recovered to home (Norfolk) and put the car in our local village garage. Another experienced friend
told me he had had a Picasso with similar symptoms and had also started off down the fuel pump route
before realising the problem was in fact big ends. Seems on the 1.6HDI, the bearing shells float and my
experience was nothing near unique. Engine suppliers have shelves full of these engines!
However mine was just not worth the effort and I scrapped it. It had done 75008 miles.

Never got any joy out of the French garage - if my French had been better (and included technical terms)
I would have gone back. They ignored my letters and emails. I got onto Citroen UK, who helped a little,
but eventually gave in with getting any cooperation from Citroen France. They did however make me a
payment - nothing like covering my losses, but some recompense at least.

I'm not proud at all of how I handled it, but the pressures at the time were fairly intense, including
accommodation and car hire - and Christmas. Then the need for more transport once home and also
having to move the car from its temporary resting place etc etc. Everything just said 'get rid'.

I removed the tow bar and two wheels (for the tyres), and some other bits including rear light outside
halves. I still have these.
Bought a 2006 2l HDI Exclusive and have enjoyed the extras, improved performance and equal mpg.

Like the ZX forum member who had a wheel fall off, it was a disaster that in different circumstances
should have been at least partially avoided! C'est la vie, as our French amis say.

Still sore but recovering........ RS
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

1.6s seem to go in two catagories.. they will run forever.. and be fine.. or they will be nothing but trouble.

the strange thing is.. it has to be something to do with psa and ford mechanics/training because these 1.6s seem to be faultless in the volvos that they are fitted In. Have a look.. I do. Theres never any for spares repair and if there is never near any as many as peugeot/citroens and fords that are fitted with them..

for me. It also needs to be the 2.0 dw psa engine..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Harri2522
My Cars: Citroen c5 116 hdi

Post by Harri2522 »

Change battery