Xantia inner ball joints

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allanmc
My Cars:

Xantia inner ball joints

Post by allanmc »

Hi, I have the replace two inner ball joints and track rod ends on my series 2 Xantia HDI had a look today and it looks like some job would it be easier to remove the steering rack and if so how do I go about it thanks
allan
Xantia 2.0i SX Auto, 1999
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: Xantia inner ball joints

Post by rory_perrett »

In my experience removing the steering rack is a major pain. The inner ball joints are not that bad. I found it a lot easier with the lower wishbones removed (but I was replacing them at the same time) It is possible to get a set mole grips on them. There's some good info on this forum if you do a search.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I like to remove the rack, as this gives you a reason to clean everything in the vicinity and have a look around - part of due diligence on a car that's twelve or more years old. It also helps ensure a good clean fit to the new gaiters, with no grit inclusion.

A skilled mechanic may be able to bypass these concerns and give a good result. That said, a workshop will generally have one of the oversleeve type tools...
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

There are tools available now to unscrew the rack ends in situ
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=s ... +rack+tool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

IN Situ, by having the rack on full lock each way!

Removing the rack is NOT easy! Steering colum needs to come off... hydraulic pipes need disconnecting, in some cases subframr lowering for the pinion valve to pass... However, if you slacken and remove everything off the rack you could then slide it out a little to get slightly better access to each end, rather then remove it completely!

Done a few now, all in situ, i little fiddle to get the little boot off the passenger side, but it was ok..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Thanks for the replies I dont think I will be taking the rack off I am doing the wishbone bushes as well so might give more access, by the way I posted a letter last week with a photo of the inner ball joints I bought from Eurocarparts asking what the two little pieces were as I havnt got the old ones off yet I am unsure if these are the locking rings I hope they are,
thanks again
allan
Xantia 2.0i SX Auto, 1999
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I tried to replace the NS one on mine a few weeks back. I struggled at first to get the rubber cover off the ball joint, however I noticed there was a slit in it (allowing grit in and so the joint had worn) so I cut the cover off. It might be worth inspecting your covers or just getting new ones before you start.

I did borrow a tool to remove the ball joint but it was incorrect and so I put it into the Citroen indy who fitted it for me. With the right tool it wouldn't seem that hard to fit, so long as the tool works and fits (unlike the one I had!).

In case you do get a rubber boot for the ball joint, as I found, there is only one size of boot which looks to have a too smaller hole to fit over the track rod, however it does fit.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10