CV JOINTS!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tris

CV JOINTS!

Post by tris »

Hi, can anyone give me any advice on repairing my '93 ax debut. The outer o/s cv boot had split so I took it all apart, including the cv joint itself as this seemed the only way to do so. You can guess what I am gonna say next! Yup, How the hell can you get that damn clip that secures the outer driveshalf/ joint together, back on??!! There must be a special tool surely? Is this a citroen only thing? The car is laid up in the garage, one time when ya dont refer to a haynes manual and you end up working on.. oh you know.[V]
Frustrated,
Tris
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Never heard of any such special tool, clip should compress into its groove when the shaft or joint is given a sharp wallop, though you have probably done this and had no joy by the sounds of it.
Has the clip got distorted or bent during removal or is it a new clip, does it appear to stand too proud of the shaft, its easey to shear the buggers in half when knocking the shaft in, Iv'e done it before now.
Bit late now but I take the inboard joint yolk off (provided its not an interferance fit, some seem to be) and slide the new boot on that way, then the pesky clip doesn't need to be disturbed.
All I can suggest is to wobble it about while applying pressure and at the same time lightly tapping it now and then, they usualy go in eventually though it is bloody frustrating at times.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Interesting!
Have you got a GKN boot kit by any chance? I recently fitted one to my BX and the replacement circlip thingy for the shaft was made from a thicker wire and wouldn't sit in its groove. I simply used the old one which still seemed springy enough.
Incidentally if you have the GKN kit with a couple of plastic rings they are supposed to fit in the bellows grooves on the OUTSIDE. I only found this out after I had re-assembled the car!
jeremy
tris

Post by tris »

sorry, I should have explained better. The cv joint on this design is in two seperate pieces, which I had to seperate to allow the fittting of the boot. Have never seen this design before, not like a straight forward design that I am used to where the outer driveshaft comes out of the splined hole in the hub. On this, the splined shaft is unremovable from the hub and the outer part of the cv joint (with bearings) is still in its body. The other is the end of the driveshaft with the fork shaped part of the joint. Need to put these two together. A cruciform shaped spring holds the parts together, and its very fiddly to get to. I would be soooo much easier if I had a digital camera so i could shoe you what the hell im on about. My mechanic friend said he had worked on this type of joint before, similar to some old renaults... but never again he said!!
Tris.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Must be something peculiar to AX. I was thinking of BX which is normal type, undo big hub nut, push out driveshaft type.
Jeremy