Whining accelerator noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kimbo40
New User

Whining accelerator noise

Post by Kimbo40 »

I have a Citroen c5 2.2 HDI Exclusive 53 plate. It has the depolution warning light on but it has been connected to the diagnostic machine at Citroen and they say that nothing is wrong although the light re appears once cleared. Recently there is a whining noise each time I accelerate, it stops immediately if I take my foot off the accelerator. I have been told this could be the power steering pump! I am confused as the steering is fine. Even more worrying is I have been told ( my the same mechanic) that this could cost £2000 to repair and it is probably best to consider getting rid of the car. Other than this it is in immaculate condition, 96,000 miles on the clock and reliable so I am reluctant to part with it unless certain. It is an automatic, I am not sure if this is relevant. It has had a new battery, tyres and starter motor in the last 6 months. The noise hasn't affected the proformance of the car. The only other thing that happened a couple of times in the last few months (last time about 8 weeks ago) is the suspension has lowered automatically and I have had to turn the car off and restart it to reset it. I would appreciate some adviceas to possibilities and some direction with regards to what to get checked at a garage rather than pay a ridiculous sum of money for time spent simply diagnosing the problem.
Northern_Mike

Re: Whining accelerator noise

Post by Northern_Mike »

Kimbo40 wrote: Recently there is a whining noise each time I accelerate, it stops immediately if I take my foot off the accelerator.
Have you got my wife in your car?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Can't see that the power steering pump could cost anywhere near £2000 to repair. 1/10 of that more likely to replace it.
If it only occurs when the engine is under load I am doubtful that it would be that, although I may be wrong, of course.
I would be more inclined to suspect the transmission.
What mileage have you on the odometer? The autobox, though said to be 'sealed for life' does need oil changes or they tend to curl up their toes at around 100,000 miles.

There are some very informative threads on autobox failure, maintenance and repair scattered around the forum.
Kimbo40
New User

Post by Kimbo40 »

I have 96,000 miles. I will check what you have said and search the forum. I feel a little less nervous now it doesn't appear it will be a £2000 job! Thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Jim's thread on refurbishing the autobox will give a good indication of the problems and fixes.
Note the specific oil - may not apply to your autobox but if it does it is crucial that only that and no substitutes are used.
Hardinho11
New User

Post by Hardinho11 »

Ive got a c5 1.6 hdi lx and when i accelerate from stationary, it makes a kind of wom wom wom wom noise when accelerating but doesnt do it when i take my foot of the pedal and as soon as im going at a reasonable speed i cant hear it.

Any ideas what it is and how much it might cost me?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Any odd noises on acceleration on a 1.6 HDi are highly likely to be pointing towards turbo failure unfortunately. Pop off the air pipe to the turbo inlet and check for play in the shaft. Repair is from about £200 if you DIY and just fit a new core, to nearer £2k if you take it to a main dealer :shock: There's threads on here about doing it, it's not that bad if you are mechanically savvy.
Richard W
Hardinho11
New User

Post by Hardinho11 »

Thanks for the heads up on the turbo, someone has suggested the funny acceleration noise could be a clogged or dirty injector??
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Kimbo40 wrote: Recently there is a whining noise each time I accelerate, it stops immediately if I take my foot off the accelerator.
Have you got my wife in your car?
nicked my reply.lol
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Hardinho11 wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the turbo, someone has suggested the funny acceleration noise could be a clogged or dirty injector??
It'd be nice to think so, but it seems a bit hopeful.... It's easy to listen to the turbo via a long screwdriver or similar (as it's on the front of the engine) whilst the engine is revved to see if that is where the noise is coming from.
Richard W
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I have owned a few turbodiesels that have quite noisy turbos, nothing has failed on them, my current HDI Xantia sounds like knight rider :) yet runs perfectly.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Yeah, but it's not a 1.6..... :-D
Richard W