Xantia 1.9td ignition nightmare!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scr8pdo

Xantia 1.9td ignition nightmare!

Post by scr8pdo »

Right today I pulled up in Wigan and turned the car off for about 5 mins, when I got back in to move it, it wouldnt go, basically when you turn the key to position 1 the battery light comes on as usual,but nothing in position 2 ie no glow plug lights, I have no gauges, fuel or temp, the radio works clock etc, the car will even turn over in position 3 but its as if a relay has gone or a fuse, ie no power to the fuel pump, glow plugs, dash etc, I have checked all the fuses under the dash near my right knee, checked fuses near battery etc, I ended up getting AA relaying me home.

As I say the car will spin over but not fire, I normally have to give it 2 cycles on the glow plugs as usual, does anyone know where to start? I cant even find my Haynes manual to tell me which fuse/relays are for what and which?

Any help would be great all the best Steve.

PS: Car is a 1.9 TD 1997 :)
1997 2.1 Turbo Diesel Xantia SX
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: Xantia 1.9td ignition nightmare!

Post by KennyW »

Steve,

It sounds like your ignition barrel as gone.The barrel is split into 2 parts, front is where the key goes and basically unlocks the steering and the rear which is turned by the key to transfer the power from the battery to the various needs to start the car.
The back part eventually breaks up inside the electrical contacts break.

expensive from the dealer but with patience you change the back part over.

Does it start if you wiggle the key in the barrel :?:

I have 2 barrels in the garage if required.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
scr8pdo

Post by scr8pdo »

The car spins over no problem, I tried having a quick look at the ignition barrell but I was stuck at the side of the road with limited tools, I managed to withdraw th barrel from the coloumn at one point but didnt seperate the electrical part from the lock itself, I did try having a wiggle but no joy, as I say pos 1 works as it should, ie: Radio, battery light, but pos 2 or "M" in the handbook does nothing, its as if you have no ignition in a petrol car but mine being diesel, I get no gauges working, no glow plug lamps etc, so you rekon it could be the actual ignition switch?

Now I have it home I cam dismantle the switch, I checked every fuse I could see (all fine or seem to be) its just that pos 2 on the switch, pos 1 and 3 operate as they should, the car hasnt had any intermtant problems except that sometimes while driving the heater blower didnt work, but a quick twist of the ignition key and the blower would cut in, leading me to believe a dodgy connection within the ignition switch???

PS Thanks for the quick reply mate
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if it turns out to be the ignition switch i bought one of these quite a good price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190560396830? ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not fitted yet but im sure it will fit

regards malcolm
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Steve,

It definitely sounds like one or more of the little connectors has broken in the rear part of the barrel.

The 2 I have were for Mk2 TD1.9 and would fit yours. 1 is brand new and the 2nd is from a scrapped vehicle.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

No.. I DO NOT think its the ignition barrel!

Id bet more on a broken connection to the rear of the fuse box!!! Taking out a couple of items as described!

Open the fuse box flap, above your right knee, pull the red tab downward then pull the fuse box UP in the direction of the red tab and pull down... this will disturb a few wires and possibly make your connection...

I KNOW the ignition barrel is a common failure, but they wear out and make intermittent connection rather then none at all.. so Im heging bets on a broken wire or dodgy connection it the fuse box ...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
scr8pdo

Post by scr8pdo »

Thanks guys I will check the above, it wasnt an intermittant problem, it never happened before, as I say, its typical of a fuse blowing, does anyone know which fuse or relay is for that pos 2 on the ignition switch (if there is one?).

The igintion switch/barrel looks a bit of a PITA to get out, I did get it most of the way out yesterday, there are various multiplugs IIRC with heavy red/white wires attached, so to drop that fusebox down, I pull the little red tab then lift the box upwards then down?

Thanks for all your help guys, its so frustrating especially when I had planned to run my mum to the train station today :(