Xantia Clutch Change Book Time/Cost

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Clutch Change Book Time/Cost

Post by red_dwarfers »

I had a local agricultural engineers/car mechanic place do mine. They quoted 5 hours if I remember rightly which added up to around £120, they did it the short way which I believe is done by sliding the gearbox off the OS driveshaft. They paid the price though as they nipped one of the new diff seals I gave them, which required them to strip it down again. He wasn't happy with me when I pointed that out :lol:

A replacement clutch on a Xantia (BE3 at least) is something you will never regret paying for. The change is truly magical, you wonder if they've forgotten to put something back right it's so light.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that's another reason the OS shaft should be removed, i have seen the inner shaft section bent by someone doing a clutch without removing it,

if you don't you can end up with the weight of the box on the inner shaft,

i don't belive you will have enough clearance to move the box back far enough with the shaft still attached top the engine,
at least not without damaging something anyhow,

regards malcolm
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

I think it can be done with the o/s shaft in place, but not a good idea. Xantia t/d isn't really a difficult job EXCEPT that ******* pin in the clutch arm! Trouble is they've all been in for a few years now so they all seem to be seized in.
malcolm no2
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

flying clutchman wrote:I think it can be done with the o/s shaft in place, but not a good idea.malcolm no2
apart from possibly bending the drive shaft i think this would be very hard going,

my old boss always said "the longer route is quite often the quicker route" ,

regards malcolm No.1
:-D :wink:
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

your old boss was a wise man. I once did a cx 2.0l when I could'nt release the o/s shaft. I did manage it but it was.nt quick and it was'nt fun!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

flying clutchman wrote:your old boss was a wise man. I once did a cx 2.0l when I could'nt release the o/s shaft. I did manage it but it was.nt quick and it was'nt fun!
he (Hector Havaux) was original from the Belgium Congo, the best boss i ever worked for,

regards malcolm
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

I did my clutch on a 16v Xantia 2.0 litre a good while ago, but can't remember taking out any pin. Took the cable connection from clutch arm, yanked out the gearbox, the fingers slipping out of release bearing as box was lowered to the ground. Hard part was aligning up the fingers so they would engage release bearing- need to do it first time, cos boxes are bloody heavy.
I remember casting doubt over the deigners parentage, when I was doing the job, mind.
Something like that, it is always going to be easier to push down than pull up.
Thats why pull clutches will go heavy, but clutches on HDi's will remain light :mrgreen:

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"Thats why pull clutches will go heavy, but clutches on HDi's will remain light "

HDi 110s use a pull clutch as well..... it's a different design, and hydraulic operation. Has a gotcha built in though - failure is often the release bearing pulling out of the cover plate (it's only held in by a snap ring), which then results in ejecting the slave piston out of the (sealed) hydraulic actuator that costs £400+ to replace [-X Jim and others though have figured out a way of bleeding the hydraulics to re-use them though =D>
Richard W
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

I was positive the HDi 90 had an ordinary clutch, thought the 110 did as well. Ah well. :-D :shock:

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Gregg1100 wrote:I did my clutch on a 16v Xantia 2.0 litre a good while ago, but can't remember taking out any pin. Took the cable connection from clutch arm, yanked out the gearbox, the fingers slipping out of release bearing as box was lowered to the ground. Hard part was aligning up the fingers so they would engage release bearing- need to do it first time, cos boxes are bloody heavy.
I remember casting doubt over the deigners parentage, when I was doing the job, mind.
Something like that, it is always going to be easier to push down than pull up.
Thats why pull clutches will go heavy, but clutches on HDi's will remain light :mrgreen:
i dont know how you managed that Gregg
as on sercvice citroen it shows a pull ( back to front ) clutch for the 2.0 16V, 2.0 110 HDI, and TD XANT

in this case you definitely require the pin out from the clutch fork actuating arm,

and a push clutch for 2.0 90 HDI and NA diesel's

regards malcolm
Ratheram

Post by Ratheram »

citronut wrote:
he (Hector Havaux) was original from the Belgium Congo, the best boss i ever worked for,

regards malcolm
From what I have been told Hector was probably a good laugh. The 2cv test drives using a grass embankment to show how good it is as changes of terrain and the habit of not shutting DS bonnets properly are a couple of stories I have been told off Dave Alstin
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

When it ever stops raining here, I will go out and have a look at the clutch cable mechanism to try to refresh my memory.
Having said that, BMC said in their workshop manuals that to do a clutch on a Mini and 1100's , you had to take engine out. When you could do it in situ, an easy job. Same as by pass hoses, cyl head off according to BMC, a doddle of a job, in situ. Wolseley 6 same as Mini, only bigger.
Just remembered, no 16v to look at, a TD will have to do then. :mrgreen:
Greg

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Ratheram wrote:
citronut wrote:

regards malcolm
From what I have been told Hector was probably a good laugh. The 2cv test drives using a grass embankment to show how good it is as changes of terrain and the habit of not shutting DS bonnets properly are a couple of stories I have been told off Dave Alstin
and taking prospective customers out on test drives in other customers car that were in for work,

he drove back onto the forecourt one day in a CV safari with a family/kids and dogs as the owner turned up to collect said car,

another time myself and the other paint sprayer were sitting in the paint shop eating our lunch, when there was am almighty BANG,

Hector was in the workshop welding the inner wing up from in the boot, the rubberized coating on the outside of the inner wing caught light some of which dropped onto the tyre, say no more,

another
we were at a dersh (2CV ) grass track meeting were Pete was racing, Hector took the rear wheel off of a GS and drove it on high around a field on three wheels no one noticed ,

regards malcolm
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Righto, just looked at the BOL and saw the pin in question. You were right- it was a long time ago, so perhaps you will let me off. :-D .
What I have just seen is a fancy tool for fixing thrust bearing onto pressure plate. I CERTAINLY never did that- I just lined up where I thought fingers would engage with the bearing and shoved g/box home. This was done nearly 7 years ago, and still see the car running about.
An ex-workmate lives next door to the 16v Xant owner, so I would have heard otherwise, :)

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok i will let you off this once [-o< :lol: :wink:

also all the pull clutch kits i have fitted have come with the thrust bearing pre/fitted to the presure plate,

regards malcolm