Sensodrive manual-auto mode difference

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Sensodrive manual-auto mode difference

Post by charentejohn »

We just looked at one of these and were impressed, I have asked about the pros and cons before but actually like this system.
The car is a 2006 C3 we will be viewing at the weekend but when driving a car last week (no good as it had had a hard life) I couldn't see why it needs an 'auto' option.

We saw one where they pushed auto and off they went, seller drove giving us a demo.
This time (2004 car)he used 'manual' and just pushed the lever forward to engage 1st gear. From then on no need to use the lever or paddles, just changed whenever it felt like it, just like an auto.
I could override the gears with lever or paddles but it would eventually change back to what it thought was best. For example when to 5th, I changed to 4th to accelerate and after it picked up speed it changed to 5th again.

So what is the difference in Auto mode, all I can think of is that it sits in neutral, when you press the accelerator it changes to 1st etc. So when you stop it will go into neutral again until accelerator is pressed.

All in all I was impressed with the box, better than some autos I have had, as changed quickly and smoothly. I drove 'briskly' but not flat out.
This was in manual mode so auto may be different.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Sensodrive manual-auto mode difference

Post by Citroenmad »

Thats not quite how they work,

It sounds as though you drove it in automatic mode, as in manual it does not change up or down itself at all, not even if your screaming along at 6000rpm for miles and miles.

How it works: When you start up the car it is in automatic mode, you then need to put your foot on the brake and push the gearlever forward so it engages first, from then on its in fully automatic mode but you can, as you did, change gear with the paddels or stick but it will resort back to auto when it is right to do so.

To put it into manual mode you, oddly, press the auto button and this makes it fully manual (the light on the auto button goes out) and so you need to change gear as you would in a manual car (though obviously without the left pedal!). If you turn the car off and start it again it will be in automatic mode once again, as I suppose choosing this box your wanting an auto rather than a manual.

Its not a bad box and you do get used to it, if you dont mind the longer than normal pause between gearchange (can be made seamless if using manual mode and easing off during changes) and the lack of 'creep'.

Did you try parking it or easing the car up to something in a parking situation?

For me this box gets rid of one of the main complaints I have of autos, the desire for some of them to change gears at set speeds. So at least you can choose the gears with this box either in fully manual mode or by influencing its auomatic gearchages. Of course many automatics are tip tronic now and you can do the same, have them in fully manual mode. I drove a Honda which had an excellent gearbox and it was tiptronic with manual mode, it was great, very smooth and it would happily change into 5th at 30 which the engine could handle easily.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Ah, now I see. I was right apart brom being 100% wrong.

I suppose they had to just put Auto on the switch (not Auto Off or Manual) so I hadn't twigged that.
That said I did like the Auto mode, good to know when testing the next car as I can try both.

I will try close parking but we live in a small place in rural France, which has loads or room. So if parking it tight we can just park somewhere else :)
Still worth simulating parking in the garage though. I would guess there are variations on how fast the gears take up from a standing start. The one I drove was a little 'sudden' but not enough to worry about.
Will see the car on Saturday morning so I will try the manual mode but my wife (it will be her car) would always use auto and will hopefully remember to put the handbrake on on hill starts.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

You might well get on well with the sensodrive box in that case, there are plenty of them so they can't be too bad! :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

charentejohn wrote: Will see the car on Saturday morning so I will try the manual mode but my wife (it will be her car) would always use auto and will hopefully remember to put the handbrake on on hill starts.
John,
I have a Peugeot 3008 with the automated manual box thingie, not sure if your system is the same but my car will hold on a hill for a few seconds for hill starts etc. When the car stops the system automatically puts the "hand brake" on. When you start to move the "hand brake" is released by the cars system. I don't actually have a handbrake lever just a wide button which is pressed to put the brake on or off manually. ( never need it)
Mind you the car is only just over a year old don't know the position when it has a few years under its belt, things may work differently..!!
The gearbox is an acquired taste though, its not quite as smooth as a full auto, but a dam sight cheaper to run then a full auto. I can live with it.

Good luck mate
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The C3 doesn't have an automatic handbrake however the box is very similar otherwise.

That is a very good point actually, sensordrives dont really suffer the MPG loss you get with a full auto.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks for the input, I think the Peugeot box will be pretty much the same, just newer model with a few extras like the handbrake button. I have heard of cars with a 'roll back' lock fitted and manual models, I assume the wheels can only turn one way unless in reverse ?

The mpg on the C3 HDIs is amazing, 65mpg average. I seem to remember normal autos usually lose 5-10% depending on how clever they are.