Noisy gearbox?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Irish_C5

Noisy gearbox?

Post by Irish_C5 »

As I posted yesterday in the Introductions area, I bought my '06 1.6 C5 VTX+ estate last week. I've imported it into Ireland and it will be going in to my mechanic tomorrow for a once-over. When I showed it to him on Monday evening, he commented about an unusual noise coming from the engine area when it was idling, so that will be one of the things he will be looking at.

There is another noise, however, or else it's the same one. This one occurs in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears above about 2000rpm and the best way I can describe it is like there's a stone caught in one of the tyres - you know that fast 'chug-chug-chug' sound. I know it's almost futile trying to describe a sound in a text environment, but it's the best I can do.

Anyone?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Noisy gearbox?

Post by CitroJim »

It may be the clutch release bearing rattling. If it goes away when the clutch pedal is very lightly pressed then that should be the cause. However if it goes only with the clutch fully depressed then it's the gearbox.

The ML5T as fitted to the bigger engined models suffers this occasionally and indeed the one on my HDi does. It been making noise in neutral for ages now and has got no better or worse in 4,000 miles so I'm not overly concerned about it. They can rattle on for a long time.

I'm not sure what the source of the noise is but I have a belief it's worn gear selector fork tips. These I believe should have PTFE sleeves on them and I have a feeling they've worn away as the gear change is nowhere near so precise nor as light as in my other ML5T-equipped car.

I'll be interested to hear the verdict of the garage on this...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

What is the mileage on your 1.6HDI?

I know a C4 1.6HDi which sounds like a diesel locomotive but it never goes wrong. The luck of some people, its had one service in 4 years and over 50K miles and its still going! I can guarantee if it were mine it would have gone pop well before now :lol:

Apparently the DMF can make a rattling noise when its failing, ive had a failed one and it didn't so im not sure what exactly that sounds like.

It could well be something as simple as plastic trim rattling together making the noise. Ive had this on a 2.0HDi 206, it was a very noticeable noise but cured by sorting out the rattling wheel arch plastics.

Do you think it might happen in 4th and 5th too but the other noises mask the sounds perhaps? I wonder if its rpm related or just at that frequency the engine is roughest and aggravating the noise.

It might well be worth getting the gearbox oil changed on your inspection.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Irish_C5

Post by Irish_C5 »

That's all absolutely fascinating guys. I will keep you informed.

Thanks.
Irish_C5

Post by Irish_C5 »

Sorry Citroenmad, I didn't see your question until now. The car has 73000 miles on it.

There are many problems with the engine, but I don't want to say any more until I have spoken with the place that sold it to me. I'm waiting for a callback this morning,
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

That is a shame, are you going to try and return the car?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Irish_C5

Post by Irish_C5 »

All,
Thank you for your interest in the woes of my C5. Now that it has been sorted out, I can answer some of the questions you asked.

It turned out that what sounded like an unusual noise in the gearbox was not in the gearbox. What my mechanic eventually determined was that the turbo was on the way out and needed to be replaced, as did the timing belt, timing chain and water pump. Oh and there was an oil leak as well!

I contacted the garage where I bought it and after a bit of back and forth, they were kind enough to refund me some of the cost of the car to put towards the repair bill. I honestly don't think that they were trying to pull a fast one or that there was any sort of badness on their part. It was just unfortunate that the faults in this car didn't present themselves fully or properly before it was sold and brought out of the UK.

I don't want to and will not be naming the garage where I bought it from, except to say that it is not a Citroen dealership, but it is a main dealership for another non-French manufacturer.

I got the car back on Friday evening and am very happy so far with the power and performance. The next issue is that the 'pollution system faulty' message has appeared on the screen and I will get that checked out.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ah, the dreaded 1.6HDi turbo failure, its getting more and more common.

I hope the car has fresh oil in and the cause of the turbo failure been found? Often the oil strainer to the turbo blocks ... I have known for replacement turbos to last no time at all if that has been forgotten about.

Glad you got it all sorted out ok with the garage you bought it from, that could have turned into a long process if they had not of been so helpful.

What was the reason for the timing belt to be replaced? Just through age/mileage?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Irish_C5

Post by Irish_C5 »

Thanks Citroenmad. The timing belt was an age-related thing, I think. The car has done 73K miles.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Interesting, the recommended interval for the 1.6HDi is 150K miles or 10 years, to my knowledge. Its shortened if the car has had a harder than average life (lots of city use, I cant remember how else they justify that)

I think that is far too long and your right to have had it done early.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
dan murphy
New User
My Cars: Citroen dispatch

Post by dan murphy »

Hi my Citroen dispatch has just developed a noise can only describe as a wining sound, I've been told it needs a new gear box, but I'm not sure, it seems to be driving normally but the noise has got a little louder in last few days, can anyone advise,
Thank you.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Manual or auto box?
Can you post your VIN, so we know exact details of the Dispatch...
Chris