Xantia Driveshaft Bearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Xantia Driveshaft Bearing

Post by DHallworth »

Guys,

The offside driveshaft (long one with the bearing in it) on our Xantia HDi is knackered and making a loud rumble when driving. Am fairly confident it's this one as there's no change in tone at all when cornering, every other wheel bearing i've seen going has given a change in the note of the rumble when cornering.

Can you get this bearing separately or does it come on the driveshaft? Can't see it listed on the Citroen Service site.

Car is a 2000 Xantia HDi 110 (with the proper (hydractive!) suspension Paul!!)

Thanks!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Driveshaft Bearing

Post by DickieG »

DHallworth wrote:The offside driveshaft (long one with the bearing in it) on our Xantia HDi is knackered and making a loud rumble when driving. Am fairly confident it's this one as there's no change in tone at all when cornering, every other wheel bearing i've seen going has given a change in the note of the rumble when cornering.
Not in my experience of Xantia front bearings, both front bearings on my V6 were knackered (grease had dried up) yet cornering made no difference to the noise. Until I removed the driveshaft from the hub it was impossible to tell that the wheel bearings were the cause.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Interesting...

For what a wheel bearing costs it's probably worth changing them both anyway.

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would remove the front brake pads and separate the CV joint from the hub/drive flange, then rotate the drive flange by hand then you will feel/hear if its the wheel bearing or not,
if it turns out to be the intermediate bearing below is price and part No.'s for bearing and retaining collar from service citroen

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000324706 BEARING 17.30 GBP 20.76 GBP 20.76 GBP

0000324810 DRIV SHAFT BUSH 4.10 GBP 4.92 GBP 4.92 GBP

you will require a very long reach puller as the bearing is a long way down the shaft, and re/fitting use a long lengrh of tube that will only just fit over the shaft, so it sits against the face of the inner bearing race to drift it back into place

regards malcolm
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

I have just replaced my centre bearing after having similar noises emanating from the front end. I considered buying a standard metal plate sealed bearing from a local factors (6006-ZZ), but eventually purchased the bearing from GSF in Coventry. The guy on the counter did question if they stocked it as a separate part but I gave him the number from a previous thread off this forum (N43890) and this now translates to the following as per their receipt:-

523PC0010 - N43890 - PROP CENT BEARING - MRP £21.53 - NETT £8.15 - TOTAL £ 8.15 (+VAT £1.63) = £9.78

This was with a little discount for being 'in the trade', but a lot cheaper than from Citroen.

I didn't need to replace the collar as it was a good drive fit anyway. The old bearing (which had failed due to both rust and from a shattered cage) was driven off the shaft using a cold chisel and a lump hammer. The new bearing driven back onto the shaft using an old motorcycle fork stanchion.

All back together again within the hour and now lovely and quiet (no longer get tinnitus when driving :o )

Also, interesting to note, the GSF branch in Coventry informed me, on enquiry, that they no longer stock the Total 75W/80W BV gearbox oil we know and love for the BE3 gearboxes! They tried to sell me some Dextron II equivalent but I declined. I did some Internet searching for Total BV stockists and found that Motaquip listed it as stock on their website. I bought 2 x 1 litre bottles from the Coventry Motaquip store for just over £16....

HTH

Glyn
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Dextron II is auto transmision fluid not for manual box's,

im also sure GSF do a COMMA BV spec oil in 5lt can's

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Glyn, thanks for posting about the bearing. that is absolutely invaluable information :-D

Yes, you don't want DEX II in a manual 'box although I've seen some filled with it. It is not good for the synchros unless they are very badly worn and then possibly, the friction modifier in it may just help. That's just a theory though and one I've never tested.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi All,

I have just reread David's original post and have noticed that his car is a later HDi model. All the bearing information I posted is with reference to my Mk.1 Xantia Td. I cannot confirm if it is the same bearing for the later models. Are the driveshafts different? Perhaps someone could find out as I wouldn't like David to strip his car down after purchasing the wrong bearing :shock: ...

Cheers

Glyn
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Good spot Glynn....

HDi 110 (as David's is pretty sure) uses a larger bearing - 35x62-16 vs 30x55-13 on the TD. A whopping £21 from Citroen, but I can't find an equivalent on simply bearings :roll:
Richard W
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi RIchard,

the nearest I can find is a 6007-ZZ (2Z or ZZ-C3) which equates to 35x62x14, which also has the steel (or stainless) side plates. I am not sure whether this would be a suitable replacement or not with the width being 2mm shorter. I must admit I would be prepared to give it a go...

Any thoughts???

Cheers

Glyn
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Dexron was spec'd for some early Landrover and Nissan transfer boxes so is used sometimes in a non auto capacity.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I stripped this down the other day thinking if it was the wheel bearing I'd be able to feel the roughness in the bearing before getting as far as the shaft bearing.

Please to report it was only a wheel bearing so I've replaced this and replaced the bottom ball joint at the same time. Just need to find the inclination to get out to the shed and get it built back up now.

Thanks guys!

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel