C5 to XM good or bad?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

waynedance

C5 to XM good or bad?

Post by waynedance »

Ok would it be good or bad to go from C5 to XM?

Ok I ike my C5 for the little things like one shot windows, auto dim mirror, auto wipers/lights, xexons, sport mode suspension, tyre pressure sensors, comfortable seats, bla bla bla .

I did almost buy an XM in the mis 90's but ended up with a 405 Mi16, what are they like to own? would have to be diesel as I do 40 miles a day to work and back. Are they easy to maintain and run?
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Re: C5 to XM good or bad?

Post by robert_e_smart »

Xms are much nicer than C5s. My folks have a '06 C5 that I had the misfortune of driving the other day. It reminded me of all the reasons why I preferred the Xm over the C5.

The biggest thing for me is the seats. The C5 has dreadful seats compared to the Xm.

All the C5 toys you mention, the Xm fortunately doesn't have, so less crap to go wrong on these counts.

Check out this thread for some of the pros and cons of Xm ownership from different parties.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ns#p310185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing not to be forgotten though is that the youngest Xms are now 12 years old, and there aren't that many late ones about. Xms are great cars if you get them in good condition and you can keep on top of them, by doing your own maintenance.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Keep the C5 and get a good Series 1 Mi16 for the weekend toy.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

If your quite into maintaining your own car and don't mind getting stuck in with jobs then it would certainly help. We have always found XMs very reliable and fairly easy to work on too, though due to the reliability of ours and them not being driven a daily cars mean they have not needed too much doing. If you dont like to do a lot of your own maintenance and have to stick the car in a garage for most issues then it could get a costly thing to keep. Especially as many people dont know much about XMs, many people dont like working on them (old wives tales im sure!) and parts are getting slightly more limited due to their age and their decreasing numbers.

They are getting on now and so signs of aging needs to be checked for. Check for corrosion along the sills, as many XMs have or need welding in that area. The XM forum is probably the best place to gather information on what to look for, there might even be a buyers guide on there, something we could do with on here for the most popular models.

Spec is something you might need to get used to, as AC was only standard on Exclusive spec cars and late VSX cars. This seemed pretty behind the times in my opinion, especially as Xantia LX models and above had AC from late 96. It was fitted to SED spec in S1 XMs. It was optional on earlier VSXs. Also if you want a diesel then there is the 2.1TD or the 2.5TD. 2.1TDs are more often than not automatics, which does effect MPG and it depends if you want an automatic. Ive only ever seen one manual 2.1TD S2 with air con, they are rare enough to find anyway. 2.5TDs tend to be fairly well equipped but I would always buy on condition with an XM and leave spec to the last thing.

C5s certainly have many merrits, even practical things like its easy to find them and so easiy replaced should it get written off. They are easy to find with the spec you want, come with efficient engines, similar interior room to an XM, if slightly less rear legroom. They are newer and so less corrosion will be found and other age related issues. Yes the C5 does have common problems but on the whole they are very reliable cars and not nearly as bad as some think, they are mostly easy to work on and not bad for the home DIYer. Likewise the XM has common things to watch out for.

XMs are very different cars to the C5, just like a Xantia is very different from an XM. The XM rides better than a C5, it has slightly more rear legroom and it certainly does have something about it which makes them very appealing to me. Very good cars, the diesels are very hardy, they drive very nicely in a waft along type of way. I prefer them to Xantias and they should prove just as reliable.

While I really enjoy driving XMs I still enjoy getting into the C5 afterwards. I have considered having an XM or Xantia for my daily and have looked for them previously, but I prefer to run a C5 as my daily driver.

If you can run two cars I would do that and keep the C5 for the daily hacking about to save the XM during the winter months.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Can only have one car this is my problem. Doh !!!!
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I honestly think your hands are tied, then.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

waynedance wrote:Can only have one car this is my problem. Doh !!!!
Well, I'd stick with the C5 :roll:

However if you really want an XM and have not had one before, buy one, see how it goes and if it doesnt suit then get another C5.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Any car will cost you money to run, i wouldnt worry about running an xm full time, they are still reliable enough for daily use, i mean Chris has probably spent 1K on his C5 this year with the clutch and other bits and bobs so no matter what you have it will cost you, up until 18 months ago my xm was my only car and in 8 years it broke down twice, once a flat battery and the other time a dead fuel pump relay so dont listen to all the scare mungering about them, most who moan about the xm either have never owned one or bought a right ruff old hound.
If an xm is what you want and it has to be derv then get a 2.1 as parts availability is very good and get a good one, not some £400 dog or you will be chasing it around with a spanner for the rest of time.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Hear, hear!

I echo Dean's comments. Buy the best you can afford, not a dog unless you like trouble, or want a spares donor.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

BMW 530 diesel, better on all counts :)
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

There's still quite a few people that run an XM as a daily that I know of.

A nice, low mileage with good service history 2.1 TD Auto would do a good job...
Franklin
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Your quite right Dean and yes I have spent a good deal on my C5 this year and I doubt you could spend so much on an XM in reutine maintenance if you tried. It would certainly not be £700 to replace the clutch, a clutch which was changed due to a design fault, this being the DMF.

Ive often used our XM for a few weeks as my daily transport and have really enjoyed using it. I also know if something goes wrong with it the cause will probably be fairly simple. In fact it did go wrong on me once and would not run if the revs dropped below 2000rpm and was a nightmare to start. I knew it would be a simple fix as its a good old XUD engine and there is little to go wrong. Had it of been the C5 doing the same thing I might well have just dropped it off at the scrappers. It turned out to be a hole in the fuel filter housing diaphragm and cost a couple of pounds to replace. Ideal!

Also if you get a Bosch pump 2.1TD you can run it on veg oil, if you really wanted.

I dare say if the right XM came along I might too be tempted to switch from C5 to XM. That XM would need to be a S2 2.1TD manual hatch with AC, so I think im keeping my C5 :lol:

I also know a few people who run XMs as their only car and the cars return excellent reliability.

Find a good XM and it should see you right, probably no more costly to run than a C5. :-D As others have said, don't be tempted by any cheap XM as it might well need all sorts. Robert has been a very good source of 2.1TDs the last year or so and it might be an idea to contact him should you want one.
Last edited by Citroenmad on 08 Apr 2012, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Errr... Corroded XM evaporator swimming in liquid compost, anyone?
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

never heard of one over here Adam, its an aus i think, my evap is 20 years old and in fine fettle, no more hasle to change than say a Xant matrix and they ALL go. whatever car you get there are always problems even if you buy new, i mean my company car threw its cambelt at 18k and 1 year old and pushed all the valves through the pistons so you can pick holes in anything if you want to.
Life is too short, if you fancy an XM, austin maxi or a TVR then get out there and get it and enjoy.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The best two I've seen were UK sourced diesel XMs! Not locally delivered cars at all.

My impression was that tightarses had removed the pollen filters and left them open.