I am also P£$$$ed with hydractive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davetherave
My Cars:

Re: I am also P£$$$ed with hydractive

Post by davetherave »

The spheres are all new in the last two years, and when the valves do work the suspension is fine. I wonder if an errant sensor is chucking it into hard?
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

yes, try unplugging the road speed sensor, this will leave the car in perminant soft mode, if not then there is electrovalve, driver or sphere problems.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Tell me more Dean! Where is this sensor?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Deanxm wrote:yes, try unplugging the road speed sensor, this will leave the car in perminant soft mode, if not then there is electrovalve, driver or sphere problems.
Disconnecting the road speed sensor won't put it in permanent soft mode, once the ECU figures out that the sensor is faulty it goes into an emergency mode where it assumes the road speed is 100Km/hr, which means it will switch to hard mode with fairly small steering wheel movements, so at low speeds it will probably spend more time in hard mode than with the sensor connected and working.

There isn't any sensor you can disconnect that will permanently put it into soft mode, and for good reason - its not a safe handling condition. There are a lot of failsafe interlocks and diagnostics built into the system that can detect faults in all the individual sensors and act accordingly to err on the side of caution (hard mode) if there is any doubt about the integrity of the sensor data.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, basics.

What does Lexia say?

Can you hear the electrovalves humming?

I wonder if you have low system pressure which is having the effect of keeping the anti-sink valves closed. That will make it ride jolly hard...

What does it feel like bouncing it with the engine idling. Can you feel any change if you bounce it just after turning off the engine? Does it feel soft initially whilst it's in soft mode and does it go hard 30s after when the ECU switches to hard and the electrovalves stop humming?

Basically, the suspension will be in soft mode if the engine is running and the car is stationary. Switch off the engine and close all the doors and the suspension will stay soft for 30 seconds before switching hard.

This is the best way to diagnose problems. If it's all normal and good whilst stationary but goes really hard when under way then I'd go for low overall system pressure causing the anti-sink valves to close when they shouldn't.

A pressure gauge teed into the main feed out of the pressure regulator could be very revealing...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Low system pressure has a huge effect. The Blue Xm estate I had last year was quite hard, even after re-gassing spheres. Re-shimming the pressure regulator, made an enormous difference.

Mandrake, I experienced a ride in a 24 V S1 Xm at last years CX rally. The car had the speed sensor removed, and the suspension did not go into hard mode over a longish test route at speeds in excess of 100kph. I'm not saying you are wrong, but this car didn't go into hard mode as you suggest.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

robert_e_smart wrote:and the suspension did not go into hard mode over a longish test route at speeds in excess of 100mph
EFA. You doing 62 MPH in a 24V'er Robert... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Franklin
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was even more "interesting" when Colin had a shot of it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

I can still remember being passenger when Colin took the Mouse Mobile for a spin...!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Evidence!

Franklin
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

You should have been in Chris' Visa Diesel!!!!!!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Mandrake wrote:
Deanxm wrote:yes, try unplugging the road speed sensor, this will leave the car in perminant soft mode, if not then there is electrovalve, driver or sphere problems.
Disconnecting the road speed sensor won't put it in permanent soft mode, once the ECU figures out that the sensor is faulty it goes into an emergency mode where it assumes the road speed is 100Km/hr, which means it will switch to hard mode with fairly small steering wheel movements, so at low speeds it will probably spend more time in hard mode than with the sensor connected and working.

There isn't any sensor you can disconnect that will permanently put it into soft mode, and for good reason - its not a safe handling condition. There are a lot of failsafe interlocks and diagnostics built into the system that can detect faults in all the individual sensors and act accordingly to err on the side of caution (hard mode) if there is any doubt about the integrity of the sensor data.
You may well be right but certainly hydractive one will not trigger hard mode without speed sensor input, there is only brake pressure switch, steering angle input, body movement and speed sensor, the ecu will remain in soft mode with ignition on and 0 speed for pressure equalisation during loading and unloading, you can wiggle the steering wheel and bounce the car as much as you want it wont trigger firm mode unless it see's a speed of over 8kmh? cant remember now, later H2 may have been able to tell if a sensor is open circuit or a dead short or if it is telling porkies, the speed sensor in early cars is fitted inline to the speedo cable above the gearbox at the bulkhead, if you unplug the sensor from the cable it is still connecetd electricaly but will not detect movement of the car, yes the speedo will not work unless you use a joiner or second speed sensor to plug in place but it will tell you very quickly if you have pressure problems or electrovalve driver issues.
Works fine with mine anyway, disconnecting the body movement sensor (mechanicaly from the arb) will also prevent switching to firm on undulating roads whilst giving firm mode in the corners but if your roads are really rough you do risk bottoming out on big bumps.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Ahhhh, so the electrical plug where the speedo cables join is for this hydractive nonsense!?

1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

item 7 is the hydractive road speed sensor Robert yes

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

What about series 2 cars?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

davetherave wrote:...when the valves do work the suspension is fine.
I hear Miss Hydractive has been seen out and about with another car. Perhaps the alienation is mutual? 8-)