I am also P£$$$ed with hydractive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davetherave
My Cars:

I am also P£$$$ed with hydractive

Post by davetherave »

Club-xm is down so ill ask all xmites here!

My car starts a journey ok, but at some point in the journey chucks itself into hard mode, when I come to a stop and do the bounce tests, there is no movement at all it is just solid.
Is this likely to be down to the ECU?
If so could I use the ECU from my estate for testing purposes? I guess some parameters would be different, but if it saves me having to undergo spinal surgery!!
Dave
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: I am also P£$$$ed with hydractive

Post by DickieG »

Unless I'm mistaken all Hydractive 2 ECU's are the same it's the programming that is different and AFAIK there isn't a specific program for estates. I know that Xantia 1 and 2 ECU's aren't compatible as using a series 1 ECU in a 2 causes the suspension to switch to firm after 25ish MPH. One things for sure you won't cause damage by swapping the ECU's provided they are both from the same version of Hydractive as in Hydractive 1 or Hydractive 2.

IIRC you have a Lexia so why not use it to observe the state of the suspension?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

I have had the lexia on it whilst stationary and its fine.
When it goes in hard mode turning the ignition off and on breaks it out of it.
Hence I wonder if the ECU is at fault
I will have to try the estates ECU and see what happens!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Have you used Lexia to check what programme the ECU has on it as in Xantia or XM? IIRC it's on the Hydractive perameters page.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Dave, when club Xm is back up, have a look at the threads I created when I modified my electrovalves to keep the car in soft. Its reversible, and certainly much better than having the car in hard all the time.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Check ecu's before swapping there were three versions of the Hydractive 1 and probably the same amount of versions for Hydractive2 suspension setups, on the case of the ecu there will be a small stamp marked H2 or H3 etc, this is the ecu version number.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Deanxm wrote:Check ecu's before swapping there were three versions of the Hydractive 1 and probably the same amount of versions for Hydractive2 suspension setups, on the case of the ecu there will be a small stamp marked H2 or H3 etc, this is the ecu version number.
In addition to that there isn't any way of knowing what software is loaded onto the ECU without using a Lexia to check it, dates may give a slight clue but no more than that.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hydractive 2 ECU's started as H4 then progressed to version H5.
It is only the H5 version that needs reading with the Lexia to determine the vehicle that it has been programmed for.
The H4 ECU's were hard coded at factory and are marked with supplementary letters to indicate vehicle type.
None of these ECU's can have their settings recoded by the Lexia.
All types have the same contact pin allocations so should work when swapped between vehicles.
The hard/soft switching may not be quite as designed by Citroen but will not be that far out.
The biggest risk in swapping ECU's is knowing their internal working condition.
If the solenoid drivers have problems this will just confuse fault finding.

John
Xmexclusive
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

It would be interesting to know what the differences are between the different versions of ECU's and what citroen thought needed changing, i guess its just switching perameters and different components used........................

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

xmexclusive wrote:All types have the same contact pin allocations so should work when swapped between vehicles.
The hard/soft switching may not be quite as designed by Citroën but will not be that far out.
That's not entirely true as for the reasons I mentioned above.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

All xm hydractive ecu types apart from H5 cannot be re flashed though, certainly with earlier ones they are completely different to later H4 and H5 versions with different electrovalve drivers, H1, H2 and H3 cannot be read with a lexia other than to extract fault codes from experience, odb just wasnt that far advanced when they were made, in all versions the case markings represent the ecu setup, i know on my activa and spare activa hydractive ecu these markings are different to my early xm ones, i want to get the activa on a lexia and see what you can do with the later ecu's.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Deanxm wrote:All xm hydractive ecu types apart from H5 cannot be re flashed though, certainly with earlier ones they are completely different to later H4 and H5 versions with different electrovalve drivers, H1, H2 and H3 cannot be read with a lexia other than to extract fault codes from experience, odb just wasnt that far advanced when they were made, in all versions the case markings represent the ecu setup, i know on my activa and spare activa hydractive ecu these markings are different to my early xm ones, i want to get the activa on a lexia and see what you can do with the later ecu's.
All you do with Hydractive 2 ECU's is read the datastream flowing to and from the ECU, clear codes and see what software has been loaded onto the ECU as in whether it was for a Xantia or XM, as mentioned above these ECU's (including H5) can only be loaded with software once.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Ah yes i believe they come bare dont they and can be flashed to be xm or xant cant they and then thats it.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Deanxm wrote:Ah yes i believe they come bare dont they and can be flashed to be xm or xant cant they and then thats it.
Yes that's it.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I have confidence someone like John can figure out how to hoover up the code, and then clear the program.