xantia brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

xantia brakes

Post by louis1 »

Hi i have just replaced my pads on the rear of the car, and when i changes them LHM fluid come out is this right and how do i know if there is air in the system when the car brakes fine (how do i bleed it). Also what and where are the best sparks plugs for the car (V6).
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You must have removed the wrong bolts, you should only have taken out the 5mm pad retaining bolt, did you remove or loosen the two caliper mounting bolts.
The caliper is in two halves and if you take all the bolts out they can leak or simply fall in half.
If you only removed the 5mm bolt and it leaked then there is a fault with the caliper.
To bleed it, start the engine and wedge a piece of wood between the brake pedal and the seat base, then fit a length of pipe to the bleed nipple and open it, catch the lhm that comes out.
There is no need to have the suspension on high or have bags of sand in the boot like some will tell you, there is plenty of pressure there at normal height to get the job done, just make sure there is enough pressure on the brake pedal.
Be aware that the bleed nipple can be rusted in and may break off or the corners may round off if your spanner (8mm) is not a good fit, use a 6 point spanner or socket as its less likely to slip.
soak with penetrating oil a few days before trying to undo it and give it a sharp tap with a hammer directly downwards on it to shock it.
Dave