Zx starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Poft

Zx starting problems

Post by Poft »

Ive been having problems with my zx 1996 1.4 petrol since I got it jan 2011, but it has gotten much worse recently. Every morning the car starts first time every time, but after its been run, partitucully if it's been pushed a bit (motorways or quick pull offs) its very hit or miss if it will start. It will sometimes take anywhere from 2 - 30 key turns to get it to start. It turns over but won't start. Recently I made a link between the non starting instances and the red light on my steering wheel, if the light comes on the car will start but if the light doesn't come on it won't start. Everybody who has seen this light has been stumped by it and has said they have never seen one before. It is a small pill shaped red light underneath my Citroen logo which comes on when the key is half turned (only if the car will start) the goes off when it car starts. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Many thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Zx starting problems

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

do you unlock the car with a plip or the key,
as this might be an immobilisers fault,

regards malcolm
Poft

Post by Poft »

I unlock with a key as its all I have for the car. I do have an immobiliser on it, not sure if it's factory fitted or an after fit. It's one with a small disc which I place against a receiver to the side of the key hole which beeps (Alot!). But if the immobiliser hasn't been deactivated when I turn the key the electrics turn on but the engine doesn't turn over or anything.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok i think that is an after market immobilisers,

dose you car have a small tinted dome on the front center of the head lining, if so it more than likely has/had a factory fitted immobilisers,
in this case it could be playing up

regards malcolm
Poft

Post by Poft »

Here's the immobiliser if that helps, I'm holding the button that I press to it to deactivate it.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I'm sure the light on the wheel is the airbag check light. It should go out in a few seconds once the ignition is turned on. If it doesn't come on at all, there must be another fault. Worn ignition switch perhaps?

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto