2.0 HDi Exclusive auxillary belt wear pattern

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

2.0 HDi Exclusive auxillary belt wear pattern

Post by Edhertz »

Recently noticed a change in engine noise at start up and idle. On investigation found noise is localised in vicinity of the aux belt which has developed an unusual wear pattern to one side, as you can see. There is oil / fluid on the belt and surrounding area so something else is also going on with no obvious leaks from the hydraulic pump. I am going for the tensioner on its way out but would be interested to hear what others think or if you’ve had similar experience.
Attachments
P1110766.JPG
Alan
1999 Xantia Exclusive 2.0Hdi Mauritius blue
1999 Peugeot LX 1.9D silver
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: 2.0 HDi Exclusive auxillary belt wear pattern

Post by SaabC5 »

Does it clatter more than normal at start-up and idle with the sound going away when you put your foot on the accelerator? HDi's do like to eat their dual mass crankshaft pulley, i'm about to do my second one in a year. Went OE Citroen this time, aftermarket pulley was pants and died way too quickly.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Post by Edhertz »

Ta for reply. Does not clatter; more like a squeak than anything else which goes as the revs increase. Will keep in mind what you say re DMP though. Will have to wait till the rain stops to stick my head in and take a closer look
Alan
1999 Xantia Exclusive 2.0Hdi Mauritius blue
1999 Peugeot LX 1.9D silver
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's also worth giving the spring-loaded tensioner a good check in case its bearing has failed and it's leaning to one side.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...