C8 loose gears

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alden
My Cars:

C8 loose gears

Post by alden »

Wifes car c8 20l hdi 07plate 66k,
Its suddenly started to make gear selection 1st/3rd a no go area ie stick just goes floppy and no gear selection, a quick flick around the gears and selection can be obtained. but it is frustrating. :roll:
the car had a new clutch / DMF 6months ago.
Any one got any ideas [-o< [-o< [-o<
BX 19 TRS
C5 SX EST 2.2
C8 2.0 SX
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: C8 loose gears

Post by CitroJim »

I suspect this gearbox may use cables for gear selection between the stick and gearbox. These cables can stretch and wear over time causing just the problem you have.

If not wear, one or other (there’s usually two) of the cables may have become detached from it's mounting plate near the gearbox. They're only normally held in with clips and it's just conceivable one of these may have made a bid for freedom.

This is all just guess work as I have no direct experience of the vehicle in question unfortunately although many PSA vehicles use this kind of set-up.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
alden
My Cars:

Re: C8 loose gears

Post by alden »

Hi jim
your right about the cables, Ive heard of this on picassos with a simple fix to use tie wraps, Ill ave a closer look during the week

ta for input
BX 19 TRS
C5 SX EST 2.2
C8 2.0 SX