xantia lower ball joint

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allanmc
My Cars:

xantia lower ball joint

Post by allanmc »

started to replace lower ball joints, got the special tool, impact wrench 450 nts, so far the ball joint wont budge any suggestions please.
allan
Xantia 2.0i SX Auto, 1999
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia lower ball joint

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, several...

You've bent back the peening on the joint face that locks it to the hub carrier? You'll find two indentations in the casting where the outer edge of the joint flange is punched down into so that it's locked into place.

These are devilishly tight and the Loctite and rust will have made them tighter.

My way is to remove the hub carriers complete, clamp them in a very large vice, really check the peening is out of the way and then, using the special tool with a nut on the joint thread to hold it rigidly in place use the biggest breaker bar on it as possible. I've a 1" drive one that's getting on for four feet long.

If the joints are still reluctant apply heat but not so much that the wheel bearing gets hot else the grease may melt out.

If it still fails, have a word with Chris570. He's used an angel grinder to good effect on some extremely recalcitrant ones but this level of difficulty is unusual.

Some say they can be punched out with a whopping great cold chisel and a similarly-sized club hammer. I've tried once and made a complete mess of it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Thanks Jim I was thinking that it might be better to remove the hub carrier but I have had enough for today so will have a go at it tomorrow, I think the peening is out of the way but when I get it in the vice I can make sure
allan
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Do not use heat, as this will make the ballpin shoot out like a bullet, when the grease starts to boil - really, REALLY, dangerous :shock:
Instead use the freeze gas, PlusGaz.

Please note that a size 35mm socket fits on the special socket.
An airgun having at least 500Nm capacity should do the work, especially if you hold a mallet against the gun as a torque counterwight.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Thanks I,ll let you know how I get on
allan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

AndersDK wrote:Do not use heat, as this will make the ballpin shoot out like a bullet, when the grease starts to boil - really, REALLY, dangerous :shock:
Never realised that Anders :shock: I've heated them a few times and I must have been very lucky to have got away with it...

Thanks for the warning!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That poor angel! Chris is so unkind.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

You need a bit of heat to break the bond on the threadlocking compound used to fit a balljoint. It does not have to be so hot the grease boils, nor should the hub unit be heat soaked as it will distort. Seem to remember the bond breaks at about 80degs.

The correct castellated tool and a good impact air gun always sees the ball joint released, much less effort required than a long bar, but you must make sure the peening on the lock plate has been released.

H
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

got one ball joint off this morning then started on the other tried for a couple of hours and after destroying the sealy tool had to take the hub carrier off to get it in the vice, cut two flats on the joint and held it in the vice and then with a 4ft. bar through the drive shaft hole it took my 2 sons to get it moving and it needed the bar all the way to get it off, I have ordered two heat sheilds and I will have to get another tool to put the ball joint back on,
allan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Just a little tight then Allan :roll:
allanmc wrote:with a 4ft. bar through the drive shaft hole
That worries me a little. If the bar exerted serious lateral force on the wheel bearings then there is a risk they now be damaged. Please check them carefully for play.

I have heard of wheel bearings being damaged simply by rolling a car with no driveshafts fitted. How true this is I cannot vouch but I have seen a bearing damaged through the removal of a very tightly rusted-on brake disc.
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you also risk damaging the splines through the drive flange,

i saw someone setting of to tow a BX years ago with no drive shafts fitted, Laural and Harddy came to mind as they turned the first corner both wheel bearings collapsed, what a fine mess :twisted: :shock: :roll: ,

these bearings are only held together by the CV joint being in place with the hub nut tight,

regards malcolm