Xantia troubles as luck would have it.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: Xantia troubles as luck would have it.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Thanks Jim,

I think running at night quite possibly saved the head gasket from going or from cooking the engine the cooling fans cutting in at 90 degrees C probably also helped a bit dragging much cooler night time air through the grill.
I reckon if this had happened in 27 or 28 degrees C summer temps during the day time the consequences could have been a lot worse?

Regards Nigel
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: Driven at night like this and you may have seen a firework display out of your rear window!
It's worse when you're in a car following your pride and joy to then see flames and burning coal falling out the exhaust pipe!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xac, I didn't see any fire works out of the back window maybe veg oil doesn't do that however I did see some black smoke on the well lit A14.

I wouldn't mind betting the EGR had something to do with this not happening.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Several years ago when Jim and I changed the head on Cassy, we were rushing to get her moved to a friend's house with a drive so she could be sorn.
Unfortunately I didn't get the timing quite right so as I followed Jim there were plumes of black smoke coming out of her exhaust, and then sparks that looked like burning coal.
Scariest drive of my life wondering what was happening to poor Cassy's engine!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

I have blinds in my rear windscreen so my downward pointing exhaust may have meant I missed all the action.
Cassy's OK now though I hope?
I was draining my veg oil out today sat on a stool next to the ECU and every ten mins I heard a ticking sound from the ECU box I wasn't aware that the S2 xantia did this. weird!!
my Dads S1 VSX does though.