Never Seen This Before.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkee-Mike

Never Seen This Before.

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Hi All Whilst setting of to drive this morning to the local tesco get my paper and bottle of milk i noticed a weird warning on my dash it flashed for a while then went off its a weird looking warning light sort of like a walking stick with 2 little lines on it. Top row far right.
Ive checked water in the radiator checked oil and also checked washer water level just in case all fine i hope its nothing really serious gulp!!
oh its a Xantia 2.0HDi 90. Year 2000 Just Celebrated its 12th Birthday lol =D>
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Never Seen This Before.

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Mike and welcome :-D

That's the oil level warning light. Squint at it and it looks a bit like a dipstick!!!

Now, obviously check the oil level but likely you'll find it fine. The sensor loves to cry wolf and they seem to cry wolf in the HDi more often than in other engines.

It's also known the sensors don't like modern semi and synthetic oils.

My HDi drives me nuts with this light but my other two are as good as gold.

So, keep an eye on level in the old traditional way but do be aware the sensor is not exactly reliable...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Phew thanks for that. I did dip the stick a couple of times just to make sure. i know its probably due a oil change within the next couple of months...probably the car just telling me its nearly time.
Thanks again Jim :-)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:Now, obviously check the oil level but likely you'll find it fine. The sensor loves to cry wolf and they seem to cry wolf in the HDi more often than in other engines.

It's also known the sensors don't like modern semi and synthetic oils.

My HDi drives me nuts with this light but my other two are as good as gold.
Never had a problem with any of mine and I only use fully synthetic oil, must be a duff sensor in your smoker Jim.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

One more thing sorry. What is the best oil for these engines?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: Never had a problem with any of mine and I only use fully synthetic oil, must be a duff sensor in your smoker Jim.
That would not surprise me Richard :lol: After nearly 204K I can live with it (for now... :roll: )
Monkee-Mike wrote:One more thing sorry. What is the best oil for these engines?
They say 5W-40 Mike. There was a big, long thread on it a while ago. Personally I use Costco 'Chevron' 110W/40 oil oil because it's a very good price, meets specs. and is suitable for both petrol and diesel engines. it goes in all my cars and I change it every 3K without fail.

I'm wary of the 5W stuff in my high-mileage engine. It seems too thin to me for one with doubtless wear but having said that the engine does not use a drop between changes.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...