Modding my Xantia.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Re: Modding my Xantia.

Post by addo »

CitroJim wrote:...The Italian styling houses are the tops when it comes to timeless and beautiful car design. I'm never sure if Bertone or Pininfarina are my top favourites. I think Pininfarina have it - just.
Nah; Frua was the duck's guts. The Maserati Mistral - such a beautiful design.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Last week on ebay there was a white Xantia selling for spares and repairs which had an original body kit. Just trying to find it now...

EDIT: Okay, maybe two or three weeks ago, but here it is. Drop him an email, he may still have it. Can't imagine he would chuck it if he was expecting £70...
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Hmm, and who could forget the Astra Coupé and Volvo 262C!!!!

Design classics or dogs. Discuss.
Xantia SX 1.9TD Gone to the breakers
Xantia LX 2.0HDI Taxed and MOT'd at last!
Xantia 1.8 16V SX On loan to brother-in-law
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stepto1 wrote:Hmm, and who could forget the Astra Coupé and Volvo 262C!!!!

Design classics or dogs. Discuss.
The former. Definitely design classics even if one is a Poxhall :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

And don't forget the Fiat Punto Cabrio! Lol!
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
Old-Guy wrote:I have to say that I don't like the S2 body changes. The 'improvements' to the front spoil the sharpness of the original design.
I quite agree on this too. I far prefer the S1 shape overall despite running more S2 cars than S1s these days :roll:

All I can say is the S2 style does sort of grow on you after a while..
Like mould...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Ha ha! I'm sorry but comparing S1 and S2 Xantias is like comparing Jo Brand and Ann Widdicombe!

It's not the best looking motor lets be honest. The back's not too bad but the front is a bit ungainly.

It was from the decade of dull cars, when the most exciting thing was the Vectra's wing mirrors!
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stepto1 wrote:when the most exciting thing was the Vectra's wing mirrors!
Yep, caravanners got very excited and animated about them. They were totally unsuitable for mounting the legally required auxiliary mirrors required for towing.

No, I have to say, amongst the vast majority of 90s and contemporary motors the Xantia still looks very good and is still a good looker to this day. Personally I love the looks but then I find virtually anything produced since hideously ugly. I can't bear to look at some cars these days. One of my neighbours has a late Mundaneo and it's revolting. Nearly as revolting as the other neighbour's Mitshubishi L200 'Animal' Ute. I can just about tolerate next-door's Poxhall Septum but that's only because it's nearly Mauritius Blue :lol: :lol:

About the only current car I actually nearly like the look of is the latest Alfa, not the Mito - the bigger one...

The DS3 would be OK if it wasn't for that horrid gaping fish-mouth and those ridiculous DRLs :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Alfa has really lost its way, just look like Fiats now, which after driving the new Guellitta(sic, can't be bothered to google the spelling), I suspect underneath they are.

I'm gutted Saab has gone the way of the Dodo. Still really tempted by a late 900 soft top. So much motor for less then a tax disk!

Fords from the 90's look terrible now, and where are all the old shape Vectras? Don't see them on the road or in the scrapyards!
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stepto1 wrote:and where are all the old shape Vectras? Don't see them on the road or in the scrapyards!
Dissolved or gone east to become bean cans and cheap spanner sets. You say old Reptras are rare but when did you last see a Chavalier? Last one I saw did look immaculate so I guess one or two are now in the hands of enthusiasts...

More to the point, when did you last see any real old rat-bag on the road? The MOT test has taken it's toll of the old dogs that's for sure.
Jim

Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

The scrappage scheme killed off many a decent motor.

There were cars in my scrapyard 10 years newer then my Xantia! Saw one Korean runaround with less then 30k on the clock. Still, as long as it saves the planet........
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: About the only current car I actually nearly like the look of is the latest Alfa, not the Mito - the bigger one...
Brera?

Seen three of those just this week.

My son in law would have liked one of those but it was a bit out of his budget range. Opted for a GT Cloverleaf instead.
Sounds like a tractor now. (1.9 JTD)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No that's not it although the Berera is not bad by today’s standards.

I was thinking of the Gillletttera. I can't be bothered to look up how to spell it either today :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Thanks for the link kev. will send the guy a quick email later I'm going to find out if he still has those blooming alloys they look nice...have to be 17" i had 15" on a while ago but it just sat to high once the pressure had built. so I'm hunting for 17" wheels I've been told you can get the car on the ramps and drop the normal ride hight a bit lower but still get the same ride comfort is this right?
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

not the same comfort no, lowering ride height will reduce suspension travel so you will have to decrease damping hole sizes or sphere pressure to stiffen the ride, Koni produced special lowering spheres for this purpose back in the day, they were yellow. Is you xant hydractive or not?
I know those alloys, pretty sure they are TSW Venoms, used to have them on my astra.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............