ZX TD Heater Matrix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

ZX TD Heater Matrix

Post by Chlorate »

First off apologies that this is technically a Peugeot 306 problem, but they're essentially the same as a ZX.

Anyway, a friend of mine owns a 306 and has recently discovered that her car has developed quite a substantial coolant leak. Suspected heater matrix failure due to puddles in the foot well and steam ( :shock: ) coming out of the vents.

Trouble is it seems like a fairly nasty leak, almost completely drains the system in about 10 miles. So I'm thinking rad weld (or equivalent) probably won't do the job. Plus I'm somewhat reluctant to use that crap anyway.

Since she needs this car pretty badly this week, I'm wondering if there's a way to bypass the heater matrix altogether. If I recall there are a pair of coolant hoses that disappear through the bulkhead, so my first thought would be to disconnect/cut these hoses and join them together with some kind of union and a couple of jubs.
Another thought would be to use one of the hoses to join both points on the head together if it were long enough. Although, if memory serves these hoses attach to the back of the head and the manifolds are in the way...

I'm reasonably sure that this shouldn't hurt the engine, it should just create a slightly colder cockpit and slightly decrease warm-up time.

Anyone know if and indeed where I could purchase a suitable hose-hose connector that'd do the job?

Or if I'm barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Thanks

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, you can bypass - I used a 90° brass plumbing elbow (¾" from memory) Permatex #3 and two Jubilee clamps.

Bleed well from the head, as you have lost the high point bleeding.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: ZX TD Heater Matrix

Post by Chlorate »

Brilliant, cheers for that Addo. 3/4" sounds about right, I'll have a butchers at the hoses on my car before popping to B&Q or something.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil: