c5 fans not working??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

c5 fans not working??

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
I have just aqcuired, at a rather good price, a C5 hdi sx 03 plate, The fans however do not work, they are the sort that are showing as fans in digital form,I tried the obvious and only thing I know how to do,change the fuse, no good, Now,when I first start the car, I can press the "+" on the fan and the digital display lights up,as though turning the fans on,this however goes blank again after about ten seconds and then if I press the "+" for the fans,nothing happens at all. I have to re start the engine in order to get the display working, albeit for a short amount of time, I don't think the fans actually turn on,although there is some noise,then nothing........Any ideas would be very much appreciated,thanks,dean......... :(
C5 X7
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: c5 fans not working??

Post by Lighty »

Probably the resistor pack, it's either next to the clutch pedal, held in with two small bolts, and has a green electrical plug, or just behind the glove box in the bottom of the heater box with a Grey electrical plug.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

thanks for the info,i'll check it out,thanks....
C5 X7
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

deano1970 wrote:thanks for the info,i'll check it out,thanks....
This can sometimes be repaired - one of our members recently bought a pair of replacement transistors and soldered them in for a cost of around £5.
A replacement module is around £70 now IIIRC.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

£70.00??? yikes........but like I say, I am willing to spend a few hundred on putting it right because I got it really quite cheap for an 03 so I will get it checked out,thanks for the advice.....
C5 X7
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Just replaced mine, as said next to the clutch pedal.
My fans were on full constantly and adjusting the fans via the switch did nothing but adjust the lcd display.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

my lcd display will light up on the dash when I start the car,and stay lit for around ten to fifteen seconds,then the display goes blank as though I have switched the fans off,does this still sound like the liely problem and can someone tell me if this is what I am looking for?? e bay item 290691121407 I don't think this is it but would appreciate any advice thank you...........
C5 X7
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That certainly looks the same as the one I got a couple of years ago.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi guys,thanks for the advice so far.ok, I have located this resistor pack and managed to get it out,luckily only one bolt (bottom one) holding it in, have to be a contortionist to get at that even,anyway,I got it out,can't seem to get the larger of the two wiring connectors out?? the smaller of the two just slid out but am struggling with the larger one. Also, on the smaller of the two of the green plugs,there seems to be a black wire that is no longer connected and there is a blue wire going into the top of the module.can't see how this is fixed in?? the blue wire has obviously been added as there is insulation tape round it further up,so I am wondering if this is supposed to be compensating for the black one that is no longer connected in the smaller of the two wiring looms.hope this makes sense and that somebody can help me with getting it out completely to try a new one in it,and advise on this wire.....can I put photos on here? I can take a pic of it?? thanks,dean....
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
got the wiring loom out and now have the module out,though it's still connected by a wire that has been soldered onto the back of the module,this I can see,is to replace the black broken wire that is still in the smaller of the two looms....I guess the wire broke and an attemp has been made to tape a new wire to the black one that broke, then solder that wire to the back of the module. I am going to try a new module as they are only 34 quid on e bay so worth a try. My only worry is that The wire that is still stuck in the green plug will obviously be there still when the new pack turns up,and I have never soldered anything in my life...will have to get it looked at properly when it turns up..... :-)
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

ok,I am going to buy a new resistor pack and need a bit of advice,as stated above, one of the wires coming from the car(black wire) broke and has had a blue wire attached to it and soldered onto the back of the resistor module, The small plug with two wires(red and black) still has a little bit of the black wire fixed in the hole. Does anyone know how I would get that out so I could do away with the blue wire that has been added and just put the black wire straight back into the plug along side the red one?I hope this would fix it along with the new pack but I am unsure as to how I actually get this wire released from the little green plug.......sorry for all the posts,and thanks for any help......cheers,dean...
C5 X7